Adrian Flux being shady? Under 21?

Schism

Fresh Recruit
So, I've just bought a Ep82 and been looking around for the cheapest quote i can find (which so far seems to be atleast £1700 with one year of driving and 1 year NCB). I got told about Adrian Flux and decided to give them a call. After giving the details it turns out they wont insure me on this car because im under 21 (being 20).

What I find odd is that one of my friend has the EP91 and is insured through Adrian Flux and he's 19, driving one year with one year NCB. Another friend of mine who also owns an EP91 who is also 19 is insured (not sure who he's insured with)

The EP82 and 91 (to my knowledge) are practically the same car under the hood, but just a different body. With the EP91 being newer I would've thought that it would've been more expensive or the same.

Is the EP91 different in comparison to insurers or is Adrian Flux being shady? Is anyone else here insured, or was insured with Adrian Flux on these cars when they were/are 21? I'm annoyed because people I know gave AF good reviews yet they wont insure me! :mad:

Gtstu

Member +
the ep91 is normally more expensive and harder to get insured on. try bell admiral or elephant. i was insured on my gt when i was 18 with admiral.

Schism

Fresh Recruit
Are you sure your friends don't have them insured as non-turbo's? ;)

I dont see how they could insure them as non-turbos when AF request a Reg. number. Surely this proves what the car is and year of make?

the ep91 is normally more expensive and harder to get insured on. try bell admiral or elephant. i was insured on my gt when i was 18 with admiral.

How much did you pay and had you been driving for a full year at that time? I got a quote from them.. Over 2k IIRC.

scot-ish

Member +
I dont see how they could insure them as non-turbos when AF request a Reg. number. Surely this proves what the car is and year of make?

depends how the car was registered when it caem into the uk, i know of people who have insured them as glanza S instead

illegal tho

SupaStu

Member +
The reg does not show what the car is with Glanzas, sure most of them are down as "1.3 on logbook", and are 1.3 GLs etc.

You have to tell the insurer that the car is a Glanza turbo import to get the correct insurance. However the EP82 GT is on most insurers databases.

I found it hard to get companies that insure glanzas, I could only find Quinn Direct in NI to get insurance, and they said you must be 21 or over, and have 2 yrs NCB.

A LOT of people driving glanzas have them insured as granny spec NAs, by the looks of the sales ads in Autotrader/Pistonheads etc.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Try bell mate! I'm 20, 2 years NCB, standard 1992 GT Turbo. £791 a year fully comp with mum and gf on the policy. Would have been £1200 if I'd paid in installments, but if all companies charge that much interest, your probably better off getting a personal bank loan and pay the yearly premium.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Forgot to say aswell. AF were really really funny when my mate tried to insure his glanza. He was quoted a price a few weeks before and when he went to get the policy they wanted something like £140 more. Kept asking him really anal questions like are the wheels standard, does it have window tints etc. They claimed they'd just updated their prices, HUGELY! Needless to say he did'nt choose them!

Schism

Fresh Recruit
Still getting really ridiculous quotes. As it stands I'm 20 with one year NCB and cheapest quote so far was, IIRC, £2,300. A little too high to say the least, particularly when I hear of people younger than myself with no claim bonuses getting it much cheaper.

Been looking for two solid days and still no results. I've been online searching that much that I keep getting regular phone calls from insurance providers giving me quotes that are through the roof and beyond.

In the beginning of November I get 2 years no claims and I've even run simulations with this but the prices dont seem to vary that much and beginning to lose faith. It looks like I'm having to wait to July 2010 untill I turn 21 to get a reasonable quote! And there's nothing more frustrating having a Starlet GTT parked on the drive that you've wanted for ages and not being able to drive it, especially knowing that you've got to wait 11months to be in with a chance! :(

MarckGlanza

Member +
i am insured with adrian flux and im 19 with 1 years ncb i have a glanza v and it is insured as a turbo and im payin £1300 TPFT

davehart

Member +
Another EP in Chesterfield? I'll keep a look out for that, seems to be loads around recently.

Onto quotes, if your chums have them insured with Flux for an EP91 I'm sure they will be under a n/a starlet. The registration wont make any difference, I know as some online quotes mine comes up as a gi model so at times the registration of the car first time round can be done wrong.

My mate has just got one, he's 19 and paying £2500 with a grand excess, silly money really but thats insurance for you!

No probs for me, mines under £500 ;)

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Im with flux an they did ask real anal question's and had a mountin of paper work to go threw...

You might find it hard to insure a 82 as its the lighter more aggresive starlet than the 91, it may sound funny but it can be true as earlyer car's were made lighter and quicker (prob get flamed for saying that) but i found it harder to insure a mk1 XR2 than it was to insure a mk3 XR2i...

When are you 21???

mcleod

Member +
im insured with flux and i got a price of 900 tpft with a big spec and since then ive turned 22 so i was sort of in the same boat as you. the ep91 is quite hard to get insured on as its an import only. find out who your mates are with and try them. have you tried bell?

Derek

Lifer
Just wait till your 21 or above then you should get a decent quote, don't understand why people try insure these cars at ages 18-21 most of the time your going to get a huge quote.Whats the harm in waiting a year. Ive waited 8 years to get a scooby because of insurance.

Schism

Fresh Recruit
Turn 21 next July :( Though I don't have much room for choice, so I guess its playing the waiting game. I did however get a quote from Quinn at about £1033, that was with one years NCB but I will have to wait untill the beginning of November to go through with that. Not nearly as bad as waiting 10 months, but its still going to be the longest 2 months of my life.

Edit: One friend who owns an EP91 is insured through Elephant but on the policy it comes through as non-turbo, and the other friend is insured with Adrian Flux. Not sure what his EP91 is registered as, but I'm guessing its also a N/A vehicle as both of them are paying around the £800 mark and are younger than me. Would hate for either of them to make a claim though.

Last edited: