Advanced Timing

nes42

Member +
I've recently noticed that the previous owner of my gt had advanced the ignition timing from the factory position. It now lies half-way between the factory setting and the fully advanced position. A few people have told me that this can cause damage to my pistons even though the engine is completely unmodified. The head was removed a few months back and no noticeable damage was found. Is it okay to continue running the timing as it is or will it eventually lead to piston crackings?

dac69er

Super Moderator
if your getting no knocking its fine. you need to get it checked.

i understand the ecu should sense knock via the knock sensor and bring the timing advance back to stop it, but im unsure whether it brings it back past the point the static timing is set.

if your unsure get it set back to 10 degrees and you should be fine

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
the dizzy is there to keep static timing at a constant.. say if the ecu needs to retard from the timing it has it can take it down to a certain limit .. which is determined by the position of the dizzy :)

kon

dac69er

Super Moderator
the dizzy is there to keep static timing at a constant.. say if the ecu needs to retard from the timing it has it can take it down to a certain limit .. which is determined by the position of the dizzy :)

kon

thats cleared that up. just wasnt sure if the ignition could be retarded back any further than the static point set on the dizzy, now i know ;)

dantheman

Member +
if the heads been off they may have timed the pulleys up a tooth out, hence why they may have advanced the dizzy to compensate. get the cam timing checked first and then adjust the dizzy where necessary