Advice on a daily

AdamB

Member +
Alright guys,

Looking for some advice as to what to get for a daily. Currently got a BMW 316i, but I can only get around 29mpg around town, and around 35mpg on a long run. I do around 200 miles a week, so would like something better on economy. My budget is £2000, but ideally don't want to spend all of that if I can get away with it.

Was looking at VW Golf GT Tdi, still had a bit of poke to it and can be remapped to like 180bhp and better fuel economy. Also looked at an N/A starlet but unsure as to how good these are on fuel?

Ideally I'm after a hatchback, preferably a manual, any number of doors although 3 is prefered. Petrol or diesel, but for economy diesel is probably the better choice. Must be cheap'ish to insure, (I'm 21), fairly good tax band.

Thanks
Adam

Last edited:

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Vag all day long. Just bought a bora for 1500, completely standard, 6 months tax, near full mot, great to drive and 55-60 mpg

AdamB

Member +
Thanks lads, thought the answer would be a VAG of some sort. Shall keep my eyes peeled for one :)

Diesel starlet don't sound bad, but I thought they are pretty hard to find. I've not seen many anyway.

richglanzav

Member +
for 2 grand or less you want a clio dci 65 cheap as fook and do 60mpg. in my opinion if you buy a golf gt tdi for less than 2k theres gotta be sumthing wrong with it or its gna cost you to maintain it

AdamB

Member +
Hmm I do understand what your saying there Rich, most golf's around that sort of price range have done around 140+k miles, its not much of a worry as I know the engines are good. But it starts to come into territory where turbo's need replacing, cambelts, water pumps, etc so can end up being pretty costly.

I'll take a look at the clio's mate, how reliable are they though? Have heard some horror stories about french motors of late lol. What kind of year and mileage would I be looking to get for my money?

toyotagt

Member +
Thanks lads, thought the answer would be a VAG of some sort. Shall keep my eyes peeled for one :)

Diesel starlet don't sound bad, but I thought they are pretty hard to find. I've not seen many anyway.

ive 2, sold one other day, put runnin gear into a GT shell, so looks cool, wont get dipped and cheap to run...850km for tank, cost bout 40 euro

Paul_JJ

Member +
I personally would stay away from any French motors, loads of mechanics complain about them all the time. Very unreliable, good desing, but everything else is a pure lottery. VW sounds like a good choice, be so Golf TDi or anything cheaper, ever Polo or Passat - still offer good economy when diesel.

Toyota D4D offer very good economy as well, but I'm not sure if you will be able to get a good model for £2K.

AdamB

Member +
ive 2, sold one other day, put runnin gear into a GT shell, so looks cool, wont get dipped and cheap to run...850km for tank, cost bout 40 euro

Sounds good mate, I will keep a look out, although finding any starlet for sale close to me is a hard task lol.

I personally would stay away from any French motors, loads of mechanics complain about them all the time. Very unreliable, good desing, but everything else is a pure lottery. VW sounds like a good choice, be so Golf TDi or anything cheaper, ever Polo or Passat - still offer good economy when diesel.

Toyota D4D offer very good economy as well, but I'm not sure if you will be able to get a good model for £2K.

Yeah exactly what I thought Paul, I went to see a Clio a little while ago, it had bad headgasket problems, I travelled 40 minutes to view the car and spent 1 minute looking at it before I drove back home lol.

I did look at the D4D series motors, but seems as if for my price range I can only get sometihng like a people carrier or estate. I could get a Corolla but they seem to be right at the top end of my budget.

richglanzav

Member +
Hmm I do understand what your saying there Rich, most golf's around that sort of price range have done around 140+k miles, its not much of a worry as I know the engines are good. But it starts to come into territory where turbo's need replacing, cambelts, water pumps, etc so can end up being pretty costly.

I'll take a look at the clio's mate, how reliable are they though? Have heard some horror stories about french motors of late lol. What kind of year and mileage would I be looking to get for my money?

hey dude theres gonna be a lot of clio haters on here lol and tbf there are some horror stories out there.

something like this you might consider

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...page/1/radius/1501/postcode/ws114af?logcode=p

yes its a renault. im a jap car lover so i aint a renault man. but the 1.5 dci engines i believe are in fact nissan engines (same as in micra dci). as long as its been serviced and looked after etc it rly shudnt give you any problems. my mates got one and its wicked.

ile admit that id much much prefer a diesel yaris or golf or the like, but not for 2grand range i wouldnt lol

AdamB

Member +
hey dude theres gonna be a lot of clio haters on here lol and tbf there are some horror stories out there.

something like this you might consider

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...page/1/radius/1501/postcode/ws114af?logcode=p

yes its a renault. im a jap car lover so i aint a renault man. but the 1.5 dci engines i believe are in fact nissan engines (same as in micra dci). as long as its been serviced and looked after etc it rly shudnt give you any problems. my mates got one and its wicked.

ile admit that id much much prefer a diesel yaris or golf or the like, but not for 2grand range i wouldnt lol

Nice mate, I found a 2002 model in my town with full service history, mot till august, think it may need tax but been told its only 30 quid. All for £1495. Hoping to go look at it soon, will be sure to give these french motors a good going over lol.

rosso321

Member +
I had two n/a starlets before my gt easy to run and good mpg around 40ish more if driven right once got 50. My bro has a gt tdi and personally my opinion there great but under 4500 wouldn't touch it.

SupaStu

Member +
Nice mate, I found a 2002 model in my town with full service history, mot till august, think it may need tax but been told its only 30 quid. All for £1495. Hoping to go look at it soon, will be sure to give these french motors a good going over lol.

My mate ran one of these for ages, cheap to run, fuel, and tex is £30. The only issues he had were fuel pump/s.

STARLET N/A

Member +
my mate had a clio 1.5dci and the headgasket went on it.

I would rather get a corsa 1.3cdti or a polo 1.4 diesel. these are small cars though if you want something bigger than i would go for a toledo 1.9 tdi or something like that.