advice on gear box leak :(

miss k

Fresh Recruit
hey guys havnt bin on the site 4 awhile :( was lukin advice on gettin oil seal for my glanza.. recent mot check showed leak.. just wanna get it sorted asap
thanx kelz :)

wildchild

Member +
once my oil release lug nut had come off. i was participating in a 1/4 mile drag n parked the car at a friends for the night and noticed an oil patch in the morning. looked down and the lug nut was gone!! thank goodness my tranny didnt jam!!
Got a recon nut 4rm a spares dealer n added 30w mobil engine oil. dats what my mechanic recommended. he says never use normal gear oil as they are too thick and causes brass con failure. (i think d name is brasscon)

it consumed 2.5L
now the prob is that it has started leaking from the place where the speedometer cable socket plugs in. i was told that the O-ring needs replacement. didnt remov it to check yet..

weeJohn

Lifer
Possibly leaking from the drain plug at the bottom. There is a compression washer on the plug that might not be sealing right, try nipping it up a bit tighter and clean the oil away and see if it comes back.

Dont swing on it but, its only screwed into the alloy casing so its possible to strip the threads and then you are well fcuked, so they say :)