Advice on suspension needed.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Hi.

I have recently fitted D2's to my GT but I'm having some issues with the steering. At first it was pulling slightly to the right, but it was driveable if you held the steering wheel.

I just assumed it was the tracking at first so I paid to have that done, but its still happening.

Thinking it could be the wheels I changed them over, but still pulling right.

The height is the same both sides as is the top plate.

This afternoon I tried undo-ing the bottom 2 bolts on the bottom bracket, and pulled the top of the wheel out both sides, as somebody had suggested I tried. But the wheels still do not seem straight, and now it is pulling extremely badly to the left. It also looks like the passenger side wheel is turned outwards when the steering wheel is straight.

If anyone thinks they know what the problem could be I'd be very appreciative.

Texx

Super Moderator
I'd take it back to where you paid to have the alignment done and get them to do it again. If you've got one wheel that has visible toe out, then I'd say it's not bee aligned correctly.

Ted

Member +
camber also affects alignment, if you try to set up the camber yourself it will ruin the alignment if you get it wrong even slightly.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
I did have it laser tracked, should this have sorted the camber out aswell then or not? I've probably knocked it all out again though by moving the suspension.

I did'nt notice the toe out before so i reckon I've accidently done it myself when i've been playing around with it.

How much do you think a garage would charge if I said can you sort it? Although i would'nt be able to drive it there at the moment its that bad!

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you have adjusted the bottom and it was vastly different to begin with then the alignment will be all wrong again so will need doing.

i cant imgine its much tbh mate.

you can align the car roughly with a meauring tape, some string and something to tie the string to that holds in line with the centre of the wheel

Texx

Super Moderator
How much do you think a garage would charge if I said can you sort it? Although i would'nt be able to drive it there at the moment its that bad!

Have a phone around and get some prices. Some places will check alignment for free, but charge for each adjustment made i.e. camber, toe, caster. Also ask if they can give you a print out of before and after adjustment readings so you can see what's been done and how accurate it's been adjusted.

You need be sure your happy with the ride hight of the D2's before having the alignment adjusted, if you alter the hight afterwards then it'll throw the alignment out again.

I would have thought you'd be able to drive the car to get the alignment done as long as you take it steady.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Kool thanks for your help everyone, rep added. I think I'll try your technique dunc and maybe take it to a garage if I can't get it right.

I am well happy with the height, bought them second hand and am really happy with it. I do scrub the arches over bumps now and then but its no big deal.