advise needed asap

Lawrence

Member +
Today suffolk police were doing vosa checks in town, to cut a long story short the only thing they could find wrong with my car is that apparently insufficient reserve travel on hand brake lever, meaning the handbrake pulled up to far but it aint ridiculously to far it doesn't go all the way.

Anyway they have ordered me to get a new mot on the car :O :O f****** fuming my mot doesn't run out until October 19th can they do this???????

Any helpfull comments appreciated thankyou.

Texx

Super Moderator
The lever should pull up approx 5-8 notches after pressing on the brake pedal.

The M.O.T. Inspection Manual - Issue Date 06 June 2010

3.1 Parking Brake Lever Mechanism and Associated Mountings

Method of Inspection

6. When the brake is fully applied

a. knock the top and each side of the lever and check that the lever stays in the “on” position

b. check that the lever is not at the end of its working travel and that there is no fouling of adjacent parts

Reason for Rejection

a. when knocked, the lever is not held in the “on” position

b. when the brake is fully applied there is no possibility of further travel of the lever because the lever is
· at the end of its working travel on the ratchet, or
· fouling adjacent parts of the vehicle

Basically excessive handbrake lever travel is not an MOT failure unless the lever can be pulled to the end of it's travel without using excessive force.

Personally I would adjust the handbrake and then put an official complaint in with VOSA regarding the inspector that checked your car.

Lawrence

Member +
The lever should pull up approx 5-8 notches after pressing on the brake pedal.

Basically excessive handbrake lever travel is not an MOT failure unless the lever can be pulled to the end of it's travel without using excessive force.

Personally I would adjust the handbrake and then put an official complaint in with VOSA regarding the inspector that checked your car.

I am so angry i personally thought this my self, and i asked for the guys name and said if theres anything in this i will be appealing and im not just a little kid driving around you can mug off. Either way i only have 10 days to get it moted should i get it moted then do the complaint afterwards or will i be wasting my time? Just seems so much hassle to challenge people with authority usually isnt worth it. Was a bit gutted i didnt realise you could adjust the handbrake in side the car with a ratchet i would of done it then and there :( advice please tex you are the man thanks.

Texx

Super Moderator
It's probably best to call VOSA first thing on Monday morning and explain the situation to them.

You'll most likely still have to have an MOT test carried out, but personally I would still push down the route of an official complaint. It is clear that the reason given by the inspector is not legitimate and reference to VOSA's own M.O.T. Inspection Manual - Issue Date 06 June 2010 section 3.1 paragraph 6.b, the same reason would not be cause for rejection of an MOT test certificate as the lever could not be operated to it's full travel stop.

By not having an MOT test carried out you would risk being hit with a fine of up to £1000 and also penalty points added to your driving license.