ae82 - ep82

starlet666

Member +
hey guys i have an ae82 gearbox and i wanna put it in my ep82

i got the bell housing off the both and went to put the ep one on and the bearing in the housing wont allow the shaft in it...... but i went to put the stock one on and it still doesnt fit on either.... anyone got any idea's????

cheers from aus

tim

weeJohn

Lifer
Do you mean the EP82 housing wont go back on the EP82 box?

Is it the input shaft that the bearing is on or one of the lay shafts?

GTnomez

Member +
i dont see the point in doing that, i have an ae92 engine n gearbox which is the same as the ae82 except one being injection n carburettor. i was told most parts are not interchangeble.

10secGT

Member +
the corolla gearbox has a different ratio, im not sure about difference in strength. it should bolt over but you will need to take the shim and outer bearing out of the ae82 bellhousing and put it in the starlet one as the taper roller bearings on the diffs have a different angle. have you made sure to take the 2 or three ball bearings and selector springs out before you reassemble?

starlet666

Member +
so i need the bearing out of the corolla bell housing and use it in the ep bell housing???? and take the selector springs right out of the box all together????

10secGT

Member +
yes you need to keep the shim and bearing from the corolla box. the springs and ball bearing (circled) need to come out of the bellhousing before you bolt it back up. then put it back in.
picture.jpg

What way are you assembling the box? putting all gears into bellhousing first and then gearbox cover? or just bolting box to bellhousing?

10secGT

Member +
well you can assemble the lot from the bellhousing up, (the correct way) inserting the gear-shafts and gears into the bellhousing and working up to the g,box housing, or just bolt the complete gearbox to the bellhousing bolting just the reverse selector in. can i ask what your objective to doing this is?

starlet666

Member +
was sitting at home and i dont have my new box yet........ and i need the car back in 4 days.......
i am getting a new gearset and needed something asap and anything is better than the N/A ep91 box i was offered as i have already busted one

and it is all together now just did it with the reverse selector way i wasnt pulling the entire box apart for nuthin