air filter relocation is safe??????????????

rosso321

Member +
thinking gtting an air filter relocation for my ct9 but will it be alr as i have fmic ? heard it makes the car over boost as i dont have fcd only fmic??and make a good difference in performance???

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
will most likely hit fuel cut. it will make a difference, but if your hitting fule cut all the time its pointless. stick with the setup you currently have until you can sort out removing fuel cut and getting it checked/mapped to suit

IppyEP82

Member +
you could well get boost creep from relocating your air filter. a couple of ways to counter it is have the wastegate on your ct9 ported and always get a stronger actuator like the hks.
Hope that helps abit mate.

biscuit

Member +
Porting the W/gate isn't as bad as it sounds, but you'll need a few new gaskets & get them from Toyota/Camskill

dac69er

Super Moderator
porting the wastegate will reduce the creep, but very unlikely it will stop it fuel cutting if your only enlarging the port to the size of the stock wastegate flap.

rosso321

Member +
thanks for the quick replies yea ill just stick to standard setup and get a mani and downpipe to increase reliability of the engine

thanks for the quick replies yea ill just stick to standard setup and get a mani and downpipe to increase reliability of the engine

a downpipe or decat will also cause you to hit fuel cut dude! just port your wastegate if your changing the mani and decat, the turbo will be out anyway then you can fit your relocation kit aswell

matt walters

Member +
in all fairness i relocated my filter (mods are fmic de cat and full system) and ive only hit fuel cut twice and that was on a properly cold night, talking -10 degc.

the rest of the time its fine, i get a small amout of boost creep, but nothing that comes close to feul cut and it soon settles back to where it should be.

rosso321

Member +
yea!!!! alright was hoping to get away with fuel cut with the mani and decat and not to have fcd and port the wastegate

durmz

Member +
It seems to vary car to car, i had air filter relocated, rx7 intercooler, mani and downpipe, ported wastegate as much as possible and allways creeped like a bitch, wish ide have gone back to stock air box

thomllee1981

Member +
and the decat isnt restrictive so you wont no whats going to happen untill fitted. why not be safe and port your wastegate its not that hard

no its not hard but you can also lower the life of the turbo.
porting the wastegate is not the answer to what you want to do!
if you are hitting fuel cut porting the wastegate is no real help!
yes a de-cat and uprated mani will free up exhaust gases and and increase performance it will also prolong the life of the engine.
will you hit fuel cut? as mention it varies from car to car. only way to find is to do it to your car.
you can still drive the car if you hit fuel cut just means dont put the boot in so hard!
you can change your air filter to and after market in side the engine bay without getting many problems.
the problems arise when people relocate the filter to the front bumper.
this is because you are sucking in colder air and getting a much higher flow of air.

if you hit fuel cut you need to look at FCD's RRFPR and SAFR's or emanage
not to mention getting them set up properly by someone who knows what they are doing! so your fueling is running correctly.
there are some really helpfull guides to hitting fuel cut and also the pro's and con's of relocating the airfilter in the archive section
just use the search function mate is real helpfull.

Last edited: