Air filter relocation - WHERE ??

GlanzaMarvin

Member +
Hi guys,

I am planning on relocating my new air filter.

Just one question - is it a bad idea to put it right behind the radiator fan ?

This would get loads of cold air into it, but is it bad for the engine, as it would kind of block the way somehow ?

Help needed.

Thanks, people that like EP's

Marvin

c3dpo

Member +
if your not planning on removing air con it will be tough, you will need small filter not like my apexi one.

Then use the s part of your stock intake system to get the filter out past the ac condenser and out front, will crimp a little though.

Best bet is dump the ac, mine went pft it was that empty lol

GlanzaMarvin

Member +
Aircon will be removed in due time.

Here's a pic of my engine bay:

18042011064.jpg

I was planning on removing the S-shaped part and using a second part with a 45° angle to tilt the filter downwards, close to the battery, right behind the radiator fan.

if your not planning on removing air con it will be tough, you will need small filter not like my apexi one.

Then use the s part of your stock intake system to get the filter out past the ac condenser and out front, will crimp a little though.

Best bet is dump the ac, mine went pft it was that empty lol

corofin12345

Member +
wont make much difference bud.. if your removing the aircon.. remove the whole efi pipe and relocate the filter to the front bumper

this is the way i did it but just get a 90degrees silocone elbow off the inlet of the turbo, small bit off hard pipe to go past water rad (when aircon rad is removed) then which ever filter your putting on
alam4.jpg

dark_knight

Member +
air element placement

here's my 2 cents worth: depending on what kind of air element/filter you have, bigger ones give you more flow (in cfm) but are also harder to place unless you start ditching components from your engine bay like your air-con or battery. all the same, placing your air element behind the rad is not the best place to have it since for air to get to it, it will have to have gone through the radiator's cooling fins and will have thus gathered some heat already. if you drive hard, this situation will be worsened since the rad will get quite hot!

i'd suggest you relocate your battery to the trunk then place it as close to the left-side headlight as you can, or as already suggested here, place it on the right-side near the turbo (assuming you do not have the air-con heat-exchanger still in place). you can further help the situation by building it an 'air-box' and heat-shielding this to help lower induction temps - this is ideal when placed on the left-side though so that you have room to build the air-box. if you really want to go overboard then ditch your left-side headlight and have the filter sit just behind where the light would have been.. :D

if using longer-than-necessary cold air feeds, you can have them wrapped in heat-reflective tape to reduce heat soak, unless you are moving the air filter for other reasons..? you can take a peek of how mine is located from this pic taken from the front and this other one showing a side shot. the unit in question is a blitz LM air element.
hope this helps bud.

Last edited:

GlanzaMarvin

Member +
Spacecraft,

The plan was for me to move the filter to a better place for the time being as I do not have enough time on my hands to remove the aircon and stuff.

As the filter is now pretty much at the back of the engine bay, I figured it would suck in much colder air when placed closer to the rad. I didn't account for the rad getting hotter, though.

With the aircon and battery still in place, and the headlights in as the car must be street legal, what do you reckon is the most advantageous spot for the air filter ?

dark_knight

Member +
@GlanzaMarvin: well said corofin12345, i'd second that. if you will still eventually move it, then leave it as-is until you are ready to relocate it to it's permanent location. best locations are usually behind the grill, beside the fmic (to the right nearer the turbo), behind the headlight (with an air-box), or if nowhere else then where the battery sits..
try keep the pipe-route as short and bends as gentle as possible.

c3dpo

Member +
Like your set up bud, if keeping it there go for as low as you can without being silly (puddles bumps etc) near the PASSENGER side, as its cooler air there than from up on the bumper to the left of the turbo.

Though if you dump your AC (not that you need to) you can mount up front on driver side, I'm gonna route mine back to passenger side but the fucking thing is dead atm so no point.

Keep us posted :)

c3dpo

Member +
God I should've read spacecrafts post! he hit the nail on the head!

Though I would reccomend slightly lower, to capture the cooling vortex lol

dark_knight

Member +
@c3dpo: thanks mate, but remember guys, air element relocation is pointless if you have a problem with heat soak and generally high engine bay temps, so try your best to keep inlet temps down by doing things like heat-wrapping your exhaust mani if you are running high power setups, using heat-shielding on the exposed intake pipes & getting the best fmic your budget can allow.. :D that's my next project as i'm already taking dimensions and possible pipe-routes & placements before i start sourcing for parts.. :)

c3dpo

Member +
np, but cambs aint as hot as kenya so we should be good, low bumper position on passenger side mine is going this weekend.

dark_knight

Member +
@c3dpo: true true. .ke is hot as ever almost all year round and so each ep owner should always check what works best for them using the advice from the forum for reference.. :D ..same reason i run w/out a thermostat and no antifreeze in my coolant - doesn't mean everyone here should too.. :) hehehehe

GlanzaMarvin

Member +
Guys,

Problem here in Luxembourg is that I can under no circumstances fit a FMIC. This counts as a major modification and would make the car illegal to run, as I would have to relocate the license plate (illegal) for it to work like it should, cut the bumper (illegal), and the FMIC would have to come with TUV, the German equivalent of your MOT, but muuuch stricter.

So I am kind of bound to keep a TMIC (bought a Mazda RX7 one from Peter88 to improve my set up a bit), which is why high engine outputs are not necessarily on my to-do list. 150, 155bhp would be nice, but I am focusing much more on weight reduction and chassis and suspension (look at my Member's Garage for more, my car's fucking naked).

The plan is to dump the aircon and put the filter as close to the front grille as possible but while within legal limits here in Luxembourg, which is why this is so hard for me.

Lowering the filter would not have been a problem, legally or logistically, so really the best solution for me for the time being. And as C3DPO mentions weather plays a part; temps here in Luxembourg are very England-like and nooothing like Kenya.

I'll have some time on my hands tomorrow and I'll check with my tuning shop to see what their race car guy has to say.

Also, this might be a silly question so don't judge too hard (I am no expert on mechanics and stuff and just learning to do that stuff by working on the EP), would it be worth it if I heat-wrapped the intake pipes from the air filter to shield them from engine temp ?

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

c3dpo

Member +
rx7 for 45 quid could do you nicely mate, or the evil 250 quid arc ones but they are the creme de le creme and rares.

I suggest with your restrictions legally to go RX7, and drop the air filter down near the passenger fog light :)

if not looking massive power, then go with an rx7 jobbie mate :) will be fine, then relocate take pics, and yeah I think if you heat wrap with good stuff any pipes should have some reduction in heat, the best way to go though would be to run it behind, below the rad to the passenger side, under mani of course.

Can you not just rotate the s pipe and a bit of modding to get it facing and infront of battery?

Last edited: