Air filter relocation with AirCon

TrisK

Member +
what is the best place to put your air filter with air con still in?

is there anyway to get it right in the front (i have a fcd so boost creep doesnt matter).

at the moment i have a trust mushroom filter, with an efi pipe that comes off the turbo and right over the manifold to by the passenger headlight.

surely going over the mani causes a lot of heat soak?

any better suggestions for places or people that have put it in the grill without loosing air con.

suggestions much appericiate, pictures would be awesome!

Thanks

IppyEP82

Member +
there aren't many ways if any to relocate your air filter if you have still got the air con in.
most people will have the air con removed then relocate their filter behind the grille.
a couple of the traders off here sell relocation kits, but they only fit with the air con removed.

hope that helps abit.

TrisK

Member +
Alot better than monster motorsports one, i sent back as the quality was craft, and came with a 'Drift' air filter,wtf!!!

DSC01938.jpg

if i did something similar, but without the silver pipe, just with the silicon elbow.

This would put the 'top' of the mushroom facing forward (good surface area).
but there really is none/barely any room in there with the air con and full size rad in.

If i did a half size rad (would an ek9 rad fit), and kept air con rad would that make any space?

surely somebody must have done something with the air con still in before!

Paul_JJ

Member +
Got the same issue, very close to remove the air con at all, but will keep it if I find a solution!

Honda Civic AC rad? It's a half size rad and would perfectly fit in front of the standard rad on the right side, and give plenty of room for the piping and the filter!

Another thing is to get a small filter (I've seen a green cotton - real small and efficient would do just fine below 200 bhp), and put the hose UNDER the AC, will be real low, but no lower the the Front Mount on the picture above!

TrisK

Member +
would having the aircon rad in front of the standard one be detremental to cooling from the standard rad?

does anybody know the size of the outlets on the AC/Anything else that needs to be checked? Also any information on the kind of rad that can be used for the air con?

Having the filter that low, i would be very worried about soaking in water in bad weather going through puddles. spray up etc.

Rev

Member +
I have made it work on a sera. The silicone pipes angle slightly to the driver side an down to clear the radiator . Space is made by cutting out the panel beside the radiator that supports the ac piping bracket. This is cut out about 110x150mm deep to let the pipe through so it comes out with room for a smaller length filter behind the bumper above intercooler pipe level high enough to avoid spashes, some minor wetting occurs but the pipe drains down from the turbo. The ac bracket and pipes are pivoted where they are and fixed to the side of the engine bay.

I find the engine temp is cooler with the a/c condensor panel infront and turned on.

TrisK

Member +
I have made it work on a sera. The silicone pipes angle slightly to the driver side an down to clear the radiator . Space is made by cutting out the panel beside the radiator that supports the ac piping bracket. This is cut out about 110x150mm deep to let the pipe through so it comes out with room for a smaller length filter behind the bumper above intercooler pipe level high enough to avoid spashes, some minor wetting occurs but the pipe drains down from the turbo. The ac bracket and pipes are pivoted where they are and fixed to the side of the engine bay.

I find the engine temp is cooler with the a/c condensor panel infront and turned on.

Would it be possible for you to get some pictures up?

durmz

Member +
after all the issues I went through with moving my air filter to the front bumper, ide say on a ct9, the best place is stock, all I ended up with was loads of boost creep

TrisK

Member +
after all the issues I went through with moving my air filter to the front bumper, ide say on a ct9, the best place is stock, all I ended up with was loads of boost creep

ive got a hks actuator and a JAM FCD, so boost creep isnt really an issue for me

Paul_JJ

Member +
ive got a hks actuator and a JAM FCD, so boost creep isnt really an issue for me

I thought the wastegate this is what causing the boost creap, because the air filter is too big and putting too much air in to the turbo, having TOO much air in my opinion won't do much on 1.3L, but having cold air would help a lot!

Paul_JJ

Member +
would having the aircon rad in front of the standard one be detremental to cooling from the standard rad?

does anybody know the size of the outlets on the AC/Anything else that needs to be checked? Also any information on the kind of rad that can be used for the air con?

Having the filter that low, i would be very worried about soaking in water in bad weather going through puddles. spray up etc.

Well the standard Glanza works ok WITH the AC in front so what's the problem? It's got a fan for the overheating issues!

Did I say to put the AIR FILTER LOW? no! I said put the piping under the car but the filter in front of the AC Rad as high as possible!

Paul_JJ

Member +

IS your car decat???
Also what air filter did you put when you had a boost creep???

Because I've been thinking if you have a small air filter with close to standard CFM it would be the same amount of air getting in to the Turbo as with the standard air filter but with less travelling thus putting colder air into the turbo! Also some say the decat affect the Boost Creep as well!

Rev

Member +
That happened to me but it is at idle that the battery load is noticable. Also when the a/c is turned off torque goes up noticably when under 2500rpm but above 3000 rpm I don't notice a thing except the temp gauge runs cooler if not over boosting. ( I have the larger 5efte a/c pulley which will take more torque at low revs than the 4efte a/c wheel pulley )

Last edited: