Air temperature sensor

mork

Member +
I have a fmic and was wondering if the air temperature sensor that was plugged into the airbox now needs to plug into the inlet manifold (lh side of manifold pointing forwards). The plug would need changing, which I don't seem to be able to get hold of. Or is this not required?

dac69er

Super Moderator
the air temp sensor should be in the inlet already???? is your car a 4efte conversion??

the temp sensor in the intake is needed.

mork

Member +
Car is a Toyota Sera with a 4EFTE conversion. The airbox has been replaced by a cone filter, and there is a lead that has a black pointy thing on it, I think this used to plug into the bottom of the airbox. On the inlet manifold there is an empty connection, does the connection that was in the airbox (LH side of engine bay) need to go into the inlet connection on the picture? If so, how do I get a connector, I've asked on here but nobody has one). Don't want a whole harness for one connector. Can someone please take a picture of their's and give me an idea of where it starts & ends? Particularly if you have a FMIC.

d547bf1d-1.jpg

mork

Member +
Yes, the one that I've circled (hidden slightly by the strut brace) is an electrical connection, but it has no connector on it. I'll take better pics tonight and re-post, will make more sense hopefully!

corofin12345

Member +
oh, have ya now.. ya there should be a connection coming from main loom around injectors... nothing got to do with the one that was on stock air box

heres mine, forget the red and grean lines.. only picture i can get,, you can see the ATS and connector
alan1-2-1.jpg

Last edited:

mork

Member +
Any idea where it goes to? Where is it getting the reading from? I think I don't have it cos I only have the original loom with some mods, rather than the full Starlet loom. What does the air temperature reading do to the running of the engine?

corofin12345

Member +
the sensor thats connected to air box is air con related and it didnt actually plug into stock air box nor took readings from there.. its only a bracket.. the ATS sensor is important... the car will over fuel if its not pluged in.. it takes the inlet air temp and the ecu adjusts fuel accordlingly...

mork

Member +
Thanks for the info. I think the car is over-fuelling funnily enough, but this is how I bought the car. Problem is, if I don't have the Starlet loom I have no idea where the other end of that wiring goes (unless it's straight to the ECU via the main loom).

corofin12345

Member +
it does ya but i really couldnt tell ya what colour wires mate from ecu.... follow the loom over injectors back and you may just find them.. on my glanza loom, the wires for the connector are green/black and brown/black and they disappear into loom just over no.2 injector

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Hi mate, this should help you.

this is the diagram of the wireing...

25904161044.jpg

now if work your way with these pinouts. depanding what ecu was used in the conversion, ep91 or ep82

ep91

glanzaecu.jpg

ep82

89661-10100.gif

mork

Member +
Thanks for that. I think it has an EP82 ECU. Pain in the arse to access in the Sera though! Would not having it also cause a high idle? It idles at 1100rpm when warm, and there's no more adjustment on the idle screw. I've also cleaned out the ICV, although it wasn't that bad anyway. Just can't understand why they didn't utilise the Starlet harness and make sure all important sensors are plugged in??!!

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Thanks for that. I think it has an EP82 ECU. Pain in the arse to access in the Sera though! Would not having it also cause a high idle? It idles at 1100rpm when warm, and there's no more adjustment on the idle screw. I've also cleaned out the ICV, although it wasn't that bad anyway. Just can't understand why they didn't utilise the Starlet harness and make sure all important sensors are plugged in??!!

Tbh i would try to source a starlet harness and use that. would be easy that way to work round things if youd ever have to... a 2 plug ecu would be an ep82 one and 3 plug ep91.

as for high idle.. i dont think that would effect it.. looked round for vacume leaks?

mork

Member +
I've made a link lead from my existing ats, now I need to know which wire goes on which connector on the sensor. So, as you look at the sensor on the manifold, can anyone please check theirs and let me know? A picture would be great too.

mork

Member +
Not that I don't appreciate all the help, but I'd still like to make sure that the coloured wires are on the right pins on the sensor, so if anyone can post a close-up of the sensor with the wires showing that would be great. Then I'd sleep better knowing that I've got them on the right way round.