alarm question for brothers 106 GTI

I'm thinking of getting hold of my brothers 106 GTI for a bit, it's a lovely little car but the factory fitted alarm isn't that goood, bad connection as it doesn't actually sound when it goes off (I imagine its the horn but not sure) and both fobs don't get that goood a reception.

I was wondering how cheap and easy it would be to get an aftermarket alarm installed and would they have the take out the factory security system (immobilisor etc)???

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Many Thanks in advance,
Tom.

DancerEP82

Member +
I fitted my own Clifford alarm to my starlet with intellistart and it wasn't easy lol but it was much cheaper :) and works a treat !

hekker

Fresh Recruit
yes u can take out factory alarm system and bypass factory imobiliser but isnt easy for a noob u will need to get it don by a pro id say
fitting a new 1 is easy when u get the instructions whit it

ahh righty, thank you for replies. Do you have any idea how much it would be for it to be professionally installed and would you reccomend any particular alarms?? hahaha and yes i'm definitely a newbie when it comes to electrics.. i think id prefer to keep it that way too. I really don't think I have the patience. :)

Also, just had a look on ebay and I quite like the look of either a clifford or a viper but not sure if anyone has any experience of these?? also i would rather like an alarm with a thatham category listing for insurance purposes to get the price down a little bit.

Many Thanks,
Tom