altinator belt

the bullet

Member +
fitted a brand new belt 3 weeks ago and woz driving home from town today and car just died popped the bonnet and the belt has snapped off the altinator anyone know what wud have cause it as it woz a brand new belt i got off toyota

Last edited:

the bullet

Member +
oh believe me i have lol ........ nope got it done by my mechanic who does all the work for me and everything woz perfect until today :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
only thing that would cause the belt to snap would be it rubbing on something, or if its old it may go due to overtightening. was it slipping at all? squeeking?

also make sure the alternator and waterpump spin easily. if they are siezed or have tight spots where they could seize for a few seconds then this would shred the belt.

stuarty1

Member +
simtoms over tighten it or loose and check u pully if its wobbling about i couldnt understand y we changed a van belt so many times and turned out the pully was wiggling and caused it to cum of or snap

dac69er

Super Moderator
seems like the altinator pulley is sticking when it turns :( how cud i solve this ??

until its off its hard to say. bearings may have collapsed. best bet would be to get it reconditioned. will be as new with neaw bearings and brushes ;)