am i paying to much insurance? getting mugged!?

Hello i currently drive a sportif starlet, 97 reg, im 3rd party F&T and i passed 4 months ago but have had my insurance since november last year,

im paying £1980 a year
am i paying too much for this ?
is there cheaper companys than quinn!?:holdit:

dac69er

Super Moderator
its a bit high tbh. i would expect about £1500 for your first year on something like that. have you added your parents on as named drivers?

i am seventeen yes, nearly years no claim,
but people i speak to say they are paying £1100 - £1300 a year and im paaying like 2k ?! it is really anoying me now, im not having it no more if im getting mugged :shoot:

J25GTi

Lifer
i am seventeen yes, nearly years no claim,
but people i speak to say they are paying £1100 - £1300 a year and im paaying like 2k ?! it is really anoying me now, im not having it no more if im getting mugged :shoot:

Id say its about right mate,

different cars, address etc, insurance can never be compared to anyone elses to be honest, and its why they can stitch us up on it! because there is always a reason why yours is more expensive etc!

Its like i know people on here paying like 500quid on their V's. yet mine is 1100!

danb87

South East England Area Rep
when i was 17, i was driving a 1.6s mk 4 vw golf my insurance was £1100 full comp, id say your gettin mugged of mate propper get rid an do some quotes

stuarty1

Member +
you hav to say stuff like you hav a garage were it keep at nite and change your excess to bout 500 pounds or what ever so that means that if you hit some one and the damage is 500 pounds you pay and incurence does not but if it is over say it was 600 pounds of damage the incnrence wiil pay the 100 pounds and you pay the 500

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Remember rates go up and down etc. What someone payed 5 years ago when they were 17 is most likely to be quite different to what a 17 year old will pay now.

Yes it sounds alot but then again your only 17 with your first car.

When i was 17 i was paying around £1500 for a clio 1.4 now bare in mind this was 7 years ago. So when i think about it your not paying well over the norm. Might be worth shopping around either way, might be able to bring it down.

J25GTi

Lifer
Remember rates go up and down etc. What someone payed 5 years ago when they were 17 is most likely to be quite different to what a 17 year old will pay now.

Yes it sounds alot but then again your only 17 with your first car.

When i was 17 i was paying around £1500 for a clio 1.4 now bare in mind this was 7 years ago. So when i think about it your not paying well over the norm. Might be worth shopping around either way, might be able to bring it down.

x2 I was paying 1540£ for a 1.4rover 200 when i first started driving, It is about right mate, your not going to get cheap insurance til your at least 21!

When i was 18 i bought a rover 25 GTi (150bhp) and that was £180 a month,

you can never ever compare your insurance price to anyone elses as every single quote and policy is individual, so if thats the price, thats the price, your not under or over paying!

J25GTi

Lifer
you hav to say stuff like you hav a garage were it keep at nite and change your excess to bout 500 pounds or what ever so that means that if you hit some one and the damage is 500 pounds you pay and incurence does not but if it is over say it was 600 pounds of damage the incnrence wiil pay the 100 pounds and you pay the 500

And i wouldn't advise anyone to do this, if you say you have a garage and its not stored in it and gets stolen etc, then they will just cancel your insurance, and you would be charged with insurance fraud etc.

Its called fronting, and is illegal. and you wouldnt get any money etc for the car...

A high excess is the only way to bring it down a bit, which you will more than likley already have!

lost of points here may be it is right maybe it isnt, like some of you said i will have to ship around more to see if any cheaper! IMO i dont think i will,
yeah i have a full time job 800 a month but its still wacking nearly 200 pound of that! :/

dac69er

Super Moderator
i wish i was on £800 a month at 17 ;)

as said mate. keep it all above board but shop around. as ive already mentioned, add your parents to the policy as that will drop it when your younger!

Iain@CRD

Lifer
That insurance quote is spot on, i paid £2200 when i was 18, seems like such a long time ago now :haha: ... so you got a good deal in my eyes