Amazing Difference!!!

gayan_GT

Lifer
just got about fitting my std de-cat and oh my god!!! the car pulls like nothing!!! i know i know u guys are gonna say this chump has finally lost his mind ... but im telling you i can atleast feel about 30-40% power gain!!! how is this possible??? well i did have a small crack on my SS screamer pipe... but it wasnt such a big crack... any comments guys??? cos im really confused :S

Adam_Glanza

Member +
mate even small cracks make a big difference because your loosing pressure to spin the turbo

in theory youve obviously got something wrong because the standard cat should no way increase power lol

Dan3SGTE

Member +
40% in power....??

either your car was very slow or now is super fast...... lol

Nah seriously mucst of had a realy shoddy exhaust.....

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
tbh i did feel this also, although ur actually loosing power, the car feels as though it pulls more as the wee ct9 has something to push against thus producing more torque.. ie pulling more ;) .. although ull be losing bhp..

another thing, the oem lambda will detect the crack in the downpipe as more o2 in the system, thus making the ecu think that its running lean, so reduces timing & pumps in more fuel thus making the car feel heavy & slower :)

kon

FeNder

Member +
hmm interesting i got the opposite , my stock downpipe has been squashed to around half its diameter or less by the sump guard and now only manages 115mph or so lol

dac69er

Super Moderator
hmm interesting i got the opposite , my stock downpipe has been squashed to around half its diameter or less by the sump guard and now only manages 115mph or so lol

thats the point.
smaller exhaust will equal more torque.

Pumba_GT

Member +
I thought that the turbo itself (exhaust side) has created enough back pressure for the turbo engine. Anything restriction after the turbo exhaust will only bring down the performance?

Dan3SGTE

Member +
i didnt think that you would loose torque by increasing your exaust size.... there was a discussion a little while ago about mine... apparently much better to get a larger one suitable......

basically like pumba_GT said

dac69er

Super Moderator
overall torque may be better, but with some restriction in place you may get a bit more torque down the bottom, which gives the sensation of the car having more grunt.

glanzaV195

Member +
when i had my screamer pipe on and it started blowing the boost just got really slugish and the car was slow! the leaking gasses just seem to slow the spooling up time.

Monkfish

Member +
Any cracks in the exhaust system before the turbo will severely hamper the performance of the car. When I first had mine, I got it RR'd expecting 170-180bhp, but only got 143bhp. Confused, I started a topic (on the old forum) wich got to 10 pages with loads of different theories. I eventually got a boost gauge fitted to find I was only running 0.5-0.6 bar instead of 1bar. The loss was caused by a cracked manifold. I got it replaced and she started making 1 bar on the button and the difference driving her was phenominal. On her test drive she blew a Focus ST into the weeds. A few weeks later, she was back on the rollers and pushed 179.2bhp. :D

In short, if you've replaced the manifold or any cracked part of the system, chances are you'll be making much more power. It will feel like a lot more though, so don't go expecting 40% hikes in power once she hits the rollers.