Annoying minor oil leak? sump area mabys......

iamlegend

Member +
right aye noticed i am leaking oil a wei bit just little drips every now and then now i have checked everywhere and cant seem to find out where it is directly coming from, got it on the ramps and could my sump gasket/silicone need re-sealing?is it a common thing on the wei EPs... now how easy is it to do this? i have checked : rocker cover,block, etc no signs of leaking. it seems to be leaking down on to my gearbox. very annoying indeed as its not noticiable at all where its coming from! :eek:

madman

Member +
it could be your crank o-ring seal too but id try re-sealing the sump first and go from their ;) sump is easy do their's around 10 10mm bolts holding it in place just disconnect the oil return pipe drain the oill undo the bolts and a few taps of a rubber hammer and it will pop off i think gasket stripper is best to remove all the old sealant. apply new sealant and reverse the steps

Last edited:

iamlegend

Member +
it could be your crank o-ring seal too but id try re-sealing the sump first and go from their ;) sump is easy do their's around 10 10mm bolts holding it in place just disconnect the oil return pipe drain the oill undo the bolts and a few taps of a rubber hammer and it will pop off i think gasket stripper is best to remove all the old sealant. apply new sealant and reverse the steps

cheers dude, where the o-ring is that near the dis cap or somthing, how difficult is it to change that? what sealant shal i use do you think, any reccomendations ?

madman

Member +
cheers dude, where the o-ring is that near the dis cap or somthing, how difficult is it to change that? what sealant shal i use do you think, any reccomendations ?

the crank seal is behind the crank pulley on the timing belt side bud you have to take the timing belt off and the pulley to get at it its tricky enough to get at now tbh. i used dirko sealant its very good and not too expensive clicky

iamlegend

Member +
the crank seal is behind the crank pulley on the timing belt side bud you have to take the timing belt off and the pulley to get at it its tricky enough to get at now tbh. i used dirko sealant its very good and not too expensive clicky

is there any way of seeing if the oring is leaking like near the rockr cover/block... or does the rocker cover etc need to come off? think i will defo start with re-sealing the sump...

madman

Member +
ignore my post about the o ring on the timing belt side i didnt see it was the gearbox side... i had the same leak as you onto the gear box it turned out to be on the actual head remove the rocker cover and where the dizz goes into check the o-ring and also their is a little stopper thing that is back from the dizzy that the sealant can ware away from just check it by moving it and if it moves take it out and dab some sealant onto it and it will stop it

madman

Member +
this might help you buddy i had an oil leak from here and and it was pure luck i stumbled across it

head-1.jpg

iamlegend

Member +
in that picture i can see in the engine bay that its dry there and no signs of leaking around that area mate. hmmm

madman

Member +
check the rocker cover gasket is in good condition and it torqued correctly also the o-ring on the dizzy isnt shagged

iamlegend

Member +
yea brand new gasket ive just put on and nuts are tightend up correctly.... so do not want to take it back off tbh as new washers on aswell :( the o-ring like i said i couldnt find it unless the dizzy cap has to come off to access it?

madman

Member +
yeah the whole dizz arm has to come off using the 2 12mm bolts buts its as easy to remove the rocker cover dont worry about the washers you can reuse them

corofin12345

Member +
is it leaking down on top of the gearbox? did you notice any oil on the sandwich plate while looking at the car from underneath?

corofin12345

Member +
behind the flywheel.. its a gaurd for the clutch really.. as you look at the gearbox from underneath ull see it.. black plate bolted to box

iamlegend

Member +
just double checked there and its defo the sump sealant is failing the 10 bolts are misted in oil its only a tiny leak mind but defo needs re-sealed! :(:eek::shoot:
this is the time where i really wish i had a ramp lol, have the car on axle stands may be abit annoying hmmm....
how does this fail tbh? age? higher boost possably i am running 1.1 bar..

does the exhaust system need to come off well the mid section as it seems it may get in the way?

iamlegend

Member +
on all the bolts labelled 10 had a mist of oil on, but mine was only dripping tiny bits at a time mind leading to the gearbox!... but got the sump resealed and it was good as new!