Another white smoke thread :)

stavros

Member +
Hey all,

Just wondered whether you'd be so kind to have a look at the vid below.

Engine is going to be fiddled with shortly, so its not a huge problem, but just wanted to confirm whether youd imagen this to be a turbo seal problem?

Also appear to have oil in my front mount as it is dripping out (very small) from one of the silicone hoses.

Once the car has been driven all of 200yards, the smoking stops, even when stationary.

http://www.youtube.com/user/K3HOE88#p/a/u/0/JyfcB8INywY

Thoughts would be gratefully recieved :)

J25GTi

Lifer
If the car has been stood, or is cold its most likley condensation int he exhaust system mate, esp if it stops when you drive it!

Hey all,

Just wondered whether you'd be so kind to have a look at the vid below.

Engine is going to be fiddled with shortly, so its not a huge problem, but just wanted to confirm whether youd imagen this to be a turbo seal problem?

Also appear to have oil in my front mount as it is dripping out (very small) from one of the silicone hoses.

Once the car has been driven all of 200yards, the smoking stops, even when stationary.

http://www.youtube.com/user/K3HOE88#p/a/u/0/JyfcB8INywY

Thoughts would be gratefully recieved :)

stavros

Member +
If the car has been stood, or is cold its most likley condensation int he exhaust system mate, esp if it stops when you drive it!

I hoped that initially but it doesnt evaporate, just floats down the right like a large ploom of smoke lol

stavros

Member +
Im tempted to take the fmic apart tomorrow and see how much, but the blue joining hose looks saturated.

Time for a TD04 kit me thinks :D

stavros

Member +
Definatley!

You dont have any oil coming out of the breathers or anything do you?

I had some surface oil around the base of the small filter on top of the rocker cover, which was there when I bought it last weekend; if have cleaned this all off tonight, but it looks like the filter itself has some oil in it?

durmz

Member +
Could be oil seals, remember though u don't need alot of oil coming through the intercooler for it to be seals, sometimes there won't be any, doesn't mean it isn't the turbo

stavros

Member +
Could be oil seals, remember though u don't need alot of oil coming through the intercooler for it to be seals, sometimes there won't be any, doesn't mean it isn't the turbo

Cheers for the input pal :)

Well I think im going to hang up the cars boots until I can source a stock ct9 or manage to get enough for a TD04L... we shall see :)

J25GTi

Lifer

x2, just trying to rule out other possibilities before he goes taking everything apart!

I had some surface oil around the base of the small filter on top of the rocker cover, which was there when I bought it last weekend; if have cleaned this all off tonight, but it looks like the filter itself has some oil in it?

Well, before you take things apart id get it compression tested if there is some oil coming out of the filter mate, its simpler than taking the intercooler apart and will rule out piston rings, that way if you know that isnt the problem, then you can take the turbo apart and check that!

stavros

Member +
x2, just trying to rule out other possibilities before he goes taking everything apart!

Well, before you take things apart id get it compression tested if there is some oil coming out of the filter mate, its simpler than taking the intercooler apart and will rule out piston rings, that way if you know that isnt the problem, then you can take the turbo apart and check that!

Cheers for all of your help pal; I'll try and find somewhere local that can do a compression test and go from there :)

J25GTi

Lifer
Cheers for all of your help pal; I'll try and find somewhere local that can do a compression test and go from there :)

No worries mate, Always try and do the simplestand cheapest thing first, saves alot of hassle!

You can pick up a compression tester for like 20quid from halfords and do it yourself, get the car hot after a drive, take the plugs out and disconnect the kinglead and then crank it over a few times with the compression tester in (do each cylinder) ten minutes and your done!

should be about 140 - 180psi(or bar dont remember which!) if i remember correctly!

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
180psi matey on comprssion test.
but if lets say u get 172 to between 169 then dont worry.
if there is a major drop between the readings then do, but a few psi probs not a big problem, yet if at all.

it does sound like u have got turbo seals on way out,
have u noticed the dipstick running lower then usual??
keep an eye in that as vould lead to bigger problems if u dont.

stavros

Member +
180psi matey on comprssion test.
but if lets say u get 172 to between 169 then dont worry.
if there is a major drop between the readings then do, but a few psi probs not a big problem, yet if at all.

it does sound like u have got turbo seals on way out,
have u noticed the dipstick running lower then usual??
keep an eye in that as vould lead to bigger problems if u dont.

I have noticed it has dropped slightly. Its dropped about 1/8th in 2 weeks which is another reason why I become concerned. Im slowly learning about these cas, but noticed alot of cars here with similar problems turned out to be turbo seals.

Im planning/saving for a new turbo kit anyway; but how straight forward is it to replace a turbo seal? Would the turbo require rebalancing? Excuse the newb questions lol

J25GTi

Lifer
I have noticed it has dropped slightly. Its dropped about 1/8th in 2 weeks which is another reason why I become concerned. Im slowly learning about these cas, but noticed alot of cars here with similar problems turned out to be turbo seals.

Im planning/saving for a new turbo kit anyway; but how straight forward is it to replace a turbo seal? Would the turbo require rebalancing? Excuse the newb questions lol

#You can rebuild them as far as i know mate! but iirc the only person doing rebuild kits was speed vision?

Try a compression test first, it just rules it out, because you dont want to spend a load of money on a new turbo etc, and still have the problem, its better to be sure!

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
i have done it mate, but yes a re-balance is best, as it better to be safe then sorry.
it does like oil seals mate, although oil from breather can happen somtimes and no need to worry, but again, compression test so you know the state of engine.