Anyone insure a work van aswell as there starlet????

Stulet-GTT

Member +
The new year is bring some change's to life and work and i am looking at buying a van, will be somethink like a vw transporter or toyota hi-ace..

I will be useing the van as more a social thing but now an then might be useing it for work aswell..

Is there anyone else on hear that insure's a van aswell as there starlet??
How much roughly do you pay??
Do you have both on the same policey??

Im not looking at an expensive van just a cheap thing..

Any advice would be much appriciated...

Vglanza

Member +
I Have A 1.9 diesel Fiat Punto Van mate Along with my starlet. Its basically the car with the seats stripped out, Van insurance is seperate from Car insurance, so for me it was starting like starting again and my NCB didnt count. Costs me 500 quid a year. Its off the road at the minute as the power steering isnt working(common problem) and its just ran out of MOT and TAX, I dont really need it, Tax is more expensive as its Commercial. if you can work with an estate it would be cheaper, but if you need the van then there's no way round it. hope this helps.

SupaStu

Member +
I have a freelander commercial, just two seats. Costs around £68 per month, tax is normal for a 2 litre car. Just use it for our dogs and going to work. Had to insure it as a commerical policy as it only has two seats, private insurance do not cover this spec.

my diesel starlet is a van (1.5 diesel) and im payn 1100euro for 20 yr old full 2 yrs no claims bonus in my own name and fully comprehensive on a student policy.

J25GTi

Lifer
Vans are cheaper to insure than cars anyway, and you can claim part of the tax back.

Also if you lease a van you can claim all the tax back too.

I'm going self employed after christmas, so I'll be getting myself another van.

I'm going to have to find room to store all thes things!

My Glanza, the st24, a peugeot expert lwb van (company) and a lwd transit after new year (my own)

AdDaMan

Member +
I have a 58plate vauxhall movano. Had it since new and on 63k now. Rag the tits of it everyday and never broken :-( also get free diesel on my fuel card so pretty good :)

J25GTi

Lifer
Yeah they are supposed to be good vans!

My long wheel base peugeot expert is a 58plate with 48k on it and its had a new flywheel, 2 new clutches, 2 brake failures, 2 steering faults. It spends more time in the garage than on the road!

I do drive It like I stole it, but it should be able to handle it!

And its due another clutch soon! Not that it matters to me as I don't pay for it, or the repairs or the fuel lol!

I have a 58plate vauxhall movano. Had it since new and on 63k now. Rag the tits of it everyday and never broken :-( also get free diesel on my fuel card so pretty good :)

It may be beneficial to speak to an accountant. If you were using the van solely for business purposes you would be able to reclaim the cost of the van as a capital expense and the tax/insurance/fuel etc. as 'standard' expenses. If you are going to be using it for both business and personal use, you're allowed to claim 40p per mile for the first 10k miles, then 25p per mile thereafter. This only applies to business related travel and doesn't include travelling to and from your place of work. Also, for this you'd have to register and insure the van in your own name (as opposed to doing it through the business.)

Are you going to be self employed?

AdDaMan

Member +
Yer same as! If it breaks I get paid time off and the fucking thing won't even though I kill it all day long lol!
I ride the clutch all day till I can't stand the smell anymore and it still won't die LOL

My long wheel base peugeot expert is a 58plate with 48k on it and its had a new flywheel, 2 new clutches, 2 brake failures, 2 steering faults. It spends more time in the garage than on the road!

And its due another clutch soon! Not that it matters to me as I don't pay for it, or the repairs or the fuel lol!

J25GTi

Lifer
Haha, I'll swap ya? I do the same but mine doesn't take much abuse before it gives in!

Yer same as! If it breaks I get paid time off and the fucking thing won't even though I kill it all day long lol!

I ride the clutch all day till I can't stand the smell anymore and it still won't die LOL