Anyone insured on a cheaper car and tpft on gt etc?

tobiah

Member +
I have my own insurance on my starlet gt turbo fully comp. but with the 1k voluntary and 250 compulsory excess i may as well be tpft ....

HAs anyone insured a really cheap car ad then got their parents etc to insure and be registered owner of a higher insurance car (i was thinking of getting an impreza/evo4/civic type r) insure it and then just drive it tpft?

I know if i crash i get nothing back and will be happy to accept that...

thoughts and opinions?

Ryno

Member +
if you can't afford to insure it fully comp in your own name then you can't afford the running costs mate!

and if you are found to be the main user of the car your folks are insuring then you'll get done for insurance fronting!

plus your better off with the GT then a Type-R :haha:

tobiah

Member +
thanks for the info. how about if i drove the gt in the week and evo on weekends?

insurance is coming back at 3.5k upwards.... saving 3K of that by getting my dad insured on one would defo help with the running costs ;)

(im just turned 22 0ncb and 2yrs experience)

Ryno

Member +
would help... but not alot :haha:

have a look here mate!

i'm not trying to put you off in the slightest, just it's worth looking into how much they actually cost to run! :haha:

i was 23 when i got my Evo VI TME, 3yrs ncb, Insurance was £1200 fully comp in my name and that's nothing compaired to the running/servicing costs each year!!

obviously your talking about an older version and you'll do your own servicing (avoiding Ralliart like the plauge), but when things go wrong (like crank walk in older evos or a clutch) then you'll be selling the GT to fix it! :(

GTdan

In The Closet
i wouldnt risk it to be honest...in my eyes its like driving a gt registered as 1.3na.
As ryno said - running costs - are alot higher than you anticipate - its not just £15 of fuel at the weekends.

GTdan

In The Closet
just thinking, majority of companies i have spoke to will only let you drive other vehicles 3rd party when your over 25.

tobiah

Member +
@phenom : the part where he mainly states running costs (of an evo) as the reason - some other cars wouldnt cost quite as much 2run...

anyway thought id ask your opinion. im insured 3rd party with my policy. just a thought anyway.

I love my gt dont get m wrong but i would like to try other nippy cars :)

Ryno

Member +
might be woth sticking a post up on other forums (e.g scoobynet) to get their opinions of running costs, doubt there'll be much in it!

oh and insurance is running costs too :D

skyinsurance

Member +
Imprezas and Evos are about as high risk as it gets.. Sky do not insure anyone under 25 on Evos and Imprezas due to the horrendous claims/loss ratios for both vehicles.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Monkfish

Member +
just thinking, majority of companies i have spoke to will only let you drive other vehicles 3rd party when your over 25.
Yes, providing said vehicle is not owned by youself or your direct family and is covered by a fully comp insurance policy of its own. Insuring a cheap car to drive something bonkers under 3rd party cover is an old hat game and insurers are wise to it. It is also massively twattish and illegal. The insurance on my Starlet gives me 3rd party cover on all other vehicles. I still had to insure my Puma on a seperate policy to drive her legally.

As a general rule of thumb, if you can't or wont pay for a car to be insured fully comp, you shouldn't be driving it.