Anyone shed any light?

tomgt106

Member +
Hi guys,

starlets been smoking for a while now, i dont get any smoke on start up or when on boost but i get smoke when i sit at traffic lights for more than 30 seconds, it then starts to smoke then i get a puff as a pull away and its gone until i stop again.

Now ive changed the turbo a couple of times and still seems to smoke, ive noticed that the oil return pipe (with the rubber pipe on the end that goes to the sump ) seems to have a 'dent' in it?

is this normal as i know restrictions can cause smoking..

any ideas?

pig666eon

Member +
first off dude what color smoke is it? it will help determine where the problem might be

have you noticed any other problems with it?

tomgt106

Member +
the smoke is white/grey as far as i can see, the only other problem i have is the turbo seems abit laggy and when stopped the idle is a bit erratic, one day it may settle fine at 800rpm but then drop as low as 600rpm but then another day may idle at 1100rpm (this is mainly when the smoke starts)

sorry if its not too clear but its the only way i can explain it lol

pig666eon

Member +
i know this will sound weird but what does the smoke smell like? does it smell like burning oil?

have you checked your water level?

get a pic up of the dent if you can

tomgt106

Member +
yeh im not too sure what it smells like i think its oil but has a slight smell of fuel aswell,
i thought about the fuel filter but didnt think this would cause smoke?
yeh waters fine and no oil under oil cap if youre thinking HG lol

my last turbo had oil leaking from the seals for around 3 months so dont know how long it will take to clear that off..

ill see if i can find a pic

pig666eon

Member +
have you tried giving it a good service? new fuel/ oil filter, oil, plugs ect ect

what sort of intercooler do you have?

STARLET N/A

Member +
if the intercooler has not been cleaned inside, it could be that, probably got oil inside.

take it off and have a look inside, tilt it sideway and see if any oil drips out.

tomgt106

Member +
oilct9.jpg

this is from race-tech website but the return pipe (on the right) has no kink in it where as mine has a slightly kink in it.

should the pipe be straight or does it have a kink in it on purpose?

Last edited:

tomgt106

Member +
i do need to as its been sitting on my drive for a couple of months so will do a service soon..

i have an rx7 tmic, i put it on with the used turbo didnt notice any oil inside but may have been wrong lol..

would the oil still be in the exhaust?

pig666eon

Member +
i would take off the intercooler as said above and check for excessive oil in there, there will be a thin layer anyway but your looking for excessive

i would also take out the plugs and give them a look there is a chart there somewhere that will tell you whats going on in there it should narrow the problem a bit

tomgt106

Member +
yeh will do..

i did do a compression test to check internals and found all four cylinders were running 190psi..

not a mechanic but seems abit high?

Paul_JJ

Member +
Well - 190 - good news -) A bit high, but better than low and most important across all 4 cyl -)

Have you checked the antifreeze level?

You shouldn't have any smoke really, if everything is healthy, unless the engine is cold or you run it reach! Anyone agree/disagree with me?