Are my Teins dangerous?

sussex_gti

Member +
After removing my wheels on Saturday to clean them inside properly, i thought id soak my coilovers as i wanted to adjust the ride height but the adjuster rings looked pretty corroded. I wire brushed them first, and the locking ring below the adjusting ring broke off!

It seems they are made out of alloy, and over the years have just corroded and broken. I havent touched the others, but am now worried that the adjuster ring may also do the same, and the spring will collapse onto the tyre. Ive seen this happen and its not pretty.

Does anyone know if the rings are available seperately?

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
very common thing to happen to teins... cusco ones will fit iirc...

Elaine

Lifer
After removing my wheels on Saturday to clean them inside properly, i thought id soak my coilovers as i wanted to adjust the ride height but the adjuster rings looked pretty corroded. I wire brushed them first, and the locking ring below the adjusting ring broke off!

It seems they are made out of alloy, and over the years have just corroded and broken. I havent touched the others, but am now worried that the adjuster ring may also do the same, and the spring will collapse onto the tyre. Ive seen this happen and its not pretty.

Does anyone know if the rings are available seperately?

IMO you should not use your car!!!

This happened to mine and you will be pleased to know you can get the rings separately….. But you need a trader to get them for you as Tein do not sell to the public.

sussex_gti

Member +
Thanks Elaine, e-mailed Tein who were very helpful and sent me the part numbers, am collecting the parts from Sumo Power at the weekend.

Elaine

Lifer
Thats great news, are you going to replace all off the rings?? Mine front ones were so bad I got new back ones just to be safe!!!

I do hope you get tehm sorted soon :)

sussex_gti

Member +
Yeah, ordered 4 lock rings and 4 adjusting rings, also a pair of c-spanners, and a Hyper Rev book to drool over while im there!

Elaine

Lifer
lol at the Hyper Rev book!!!

Glad your getting it sorted.... Just out of intrest how old are your coilovers??

Nwimie

Member +
my teins are well cared for and quite new!!! :D new set of rings should sort the job!!! woul;dnt swap my teins for anything best suspension ive owned!

sussex_gti

Member +
The guy at Tein said they could be up ten years old. Think he was trying to sell me a new set as he said they are tired and need replacing. But they dont leak, knock or bang, the damping adjusters still work, and it handles better than my old 205 gti with coilovers, so not complaining! With new rings and a clean up they'll be like new again.

Elaine

Lifer
lol bloody sells men!!

I agree if there not leaking or knocking dont change them.. Mine had a good clean up when I got the new rings and they seem ok atm :)