arrrgh and i had it for all of 5 mins (ignition barrel light)

Crazy_eyes

Member +
Well i received an ignition barrel light for my EP82, i was just having a look at it trying to make sense of all the wires and the light ring totally snapped off.

101_5090.jpg

101_5091.jpg

im gutted the prongs on the light are to short to solder (well ones completly gone)

im hoping i can soure just the light ring with the wires on.

:(

dac69er

Super Moderator
these are strange. they all seem to be slightly different wiring wise. i have 2 and they are different and this one is different again. all from ep82 :S

dac69er

Super Moderator
looks like a harness loom like on a turbo timer. should just plug in somewhere. then the black is a ground. the two red wires im not sure about, but may well not be used???

i would look behind the passenger side plastic where the flare should be as that is where the one i removed recently was wired in.

Crazy_eyes

Member +
looks like a harness loom like on a turbo timer. should just plug in somewhere. then the black is a ground. the two red wires im not sure about, but may well not be used???

i would look behind the passenger side plastic where the flare should be as that is where the one i removed recently was wired in.

okies i'll look at weekend as it's always dark when i finish work, I've just been looking on ebay for some LEDs an most are rated at 4v (ish) so im guessing that this black box on my wiring has resistors in it?. When you say "should just plug in somwhere" do i just find a plug that it fits into and split it then atach the plugs on my light harness thingy to them?

cheers

dac69er

Super Moderator
okies i'll look at weekend as it's always dark when i finish work, I've just been looking on ebay for some LEDs an most are rated at 4v (ish) so im guessing that this black box on my wiring has resistors in it?. When you say "should just plug in somwhere" do i just find a plug that it fits into and split it then atach the plugs on my light harness thingy to them?

cheers

yes mate, those led's will be fine by the sound of them. post a link up if your unsure.

as for plugging it in, pretty much as you said. just see what happens. as i said, all the ones i have seen have been different. the most recent one i got was just spliced in behind that plstic panel where the flare should be, the one i got before that was wired into a switch on the footbrake and spliced into a few other wires!?!?!

Crazy_eyes

Member +
i brought These as there uk based and they will be here by the weekend, do you recon it'll be easier just cuting the harness (for my barrel light) and splicing it into my turbo timer wires. If i cut the plugs off im left with a red wire, red / white wire and a black wire?

dac69er

Super Moderator
look fine to me :)

i dont know exactly how it works tbh. i guess it comes on when you open the door and then stays on until you turn the ignition on? maybe someone who has one already fitted can confirm!?? i would try and use the harness if you can. will be a neater install.

Crazy_eyes

Member +
look fine to me :)

i dont know exactly how it works tbh. i guess it comes on when you open the door and then stays on until you turn the ignition on? maybe someone who has one already fitted can confirm!?? i would try and use the harness if you can. will be a neater install.

okies, i not going to attept to fit till the weekend (it's dark when i finish work), even if i use the harness theres still a red and black wire loose. Im gonna start by putting one end of the harness to ignition barrel and seeing where the other end reachs

dac69er

Super Moderator
the black wire is 100% a ground. not sure about the red, but i would just connect the harness part, bolt the ground wire and see what it does ;)

Crazy_eyes

Member +
the black wire is 100% a ground. not sure about the red, but i would just connect the harness part, bolt the ground wire and see what it does ;)

okies, thanks for all the help.........i'll crack on at the weekend and let you know how i get on, i'll get plently of pics and maybe they will help others

weeJohn

Lifer
I wired one of these in for Nanglebadger, its odd. 1 of the red wires needs a permanent supply as its power for the timer and the other goes to the interior light wire I think. I had to try a few ways before I got it to work, I think because the japs like to switch earths.

I will ask Phil to have a look at his to see if he can see how I did it, getting old and the memories not to good anymore.

Crazy_eyes

Member +
I wired one of these in for Nanglebadger, its odd. 1 of the red wires needs a permanent supply as its power for the timer and the other goes to the interior light wire I think. I had to try a few ways before I got it to work, I think because the japs like to switch earths.

I will ask Phil to have a look at his to see if he can see how I did it, getting old and the memories not to good anymore.

okies, thanks mate