AVCR setup with hybrid turbo

dave-izzle

Member +
I've just fitted my new hybrid and there seems to be alot of hesitation, and over boost, where on the normal CT9 is pulled throughout the rev range and bosted near perfect to 1.2 bar, where as now, there is hesitation and doesn't get going until about 5k and then jolts up again closer to 7k

i've put the problem down to my apexi avcr, not being mapped suitably for the turbo. Problem is i have no knowledge of tuning one myself as it came with the car when i purchased it. does anyone have any setups, tips or guides on how i can set it up, or could anyone with a hybrid show me there parameters?

ramses974

Member +
I've just fitted my new hybrid and there seems to be alot of hesitation, and over boost, where on the normal CT9 is pulled throughout the rev range and bosted near perfect to 1.2 bar, where as now, there is hesitation and doesn't get going until about 5k and then jolts up again closer to 7k

i've put the problem down to my apexi avcr, not being mapped suitably for the turbo. Problem is i have no knowledge of tuning one myself as it came with the car when i purchased it. does anyone have any setups, tips or guides on how i can set it up, or could anyone with a hybrid show me there parameters?

ok you must know 2 things....
1/AVCR with single solenoid can overshoot and not hold correctly high boost if gain or ratio is set to high
2/the wastegate is important ...

---------------------
di you test it with auto mode???
if in auto mode all is not ok do it manually....

-------------------------
for my experience in EBC the best boost controller is have seen is BLITZ...easy and holding very strong the wastegate
---------------------------------------
i have a profec E01 and i experienced overshoot...

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb

we had the same problem with one of these, and on one particular occasion it overshooted and blew a gasket! its one BC we never managed to work with.
if u could find someone to set it up for you though, its a good kit though

dave-izzle

Member +
well i had a friend tinker with it before with the old turbo and it seemed to work OK, but i would hardly call it an optimum setup. Would it be worth selling the AVCR and maybe getting a profec B spec 2? or something? Would love to work with the avcr but it really isnt the most easiet piece of kit to work with

ramses974

Member +
TRUST me ... greddy profec is not so good that you tough...remember it is the same AVCR solenoid...
Go with the greddy with dual solenoid or BLITZ dual solenoid

Aidan-G

Member +
a friend had a fiddle, think he just set it up to run 1.2 bar and that was it. its not setup through the rev range and gears etc

its hard to say really?your better off bringing it to someone who knows instead of us trying to guess,have a look at the duty and see what its at,it could be set low..

weeJohn

Lifer
Found this after spending about 2 days trying to translate the translated text you get with the AVCR.

Apexi AVC-R Set up Procedure
The amount of boost you generate is dependent on engine speed, select gear, throttle position, and inertia of the turbine/compressor wheel. In a perfect world, you would simply set the amount of boost you want, and the system would be smart enough to maintain that level.However, that would require a sophisticated computer and automated sensor/feedback system with near-instantaneous response time. With the AVC-R, you get the computer part, but the sensor/feedback system is less automatic and more manual. On the plus side, that gives you more control, but setting it up for the desired result can be tedious.
The Boost setting sets your target boost level, and the Duty setting controls the percentage of time that the solenoid is activated to keep the wastegate closed.
Start Duty and Engine RPM-Specific Boost Duty are your key settings,because they provide the level of fine-tuning control you will need to keep boost at the target level you desire without overshooting under changing conditions.
Disable the Learn Mode by setting the values for each gear to "X" (Page 29 in the AVC-R manual). Whenever I used the learn mode, all it did was screw up all my settings. I have heard this same complaint from other users.Set Feedback speed to 5 for all gears (Page 28 in the AVC-R manual).Set NE Points to a Minimum 3000 rpm, Maximum 6500 rpm. Increment 500 rpm (Page 27 in the AVC-R manual).
Set the Boost to .8 (or lower) to be on the safe side. At this setting, your goal is 0.8 bar. You can change this after you get continual, reliable boost levels (Page 22 in the AVC-R manual).Set the Duty to 70% -- you will probably have to change this later (Page 22 in the AVC-R manual).
Set the Start Dutyin each gear for -25% (Page 30 in the AVC-R manual) This is "minus 25%". Use the UP ARROW and DOWN ARROW keys to increase/decrease the Start Duty. The range is Minus (-)50% to Plus (+)50%. Set Engine RPM-Specific Boost Duty to 70% in each range (Page 24 in the AVC-R manual).
OK, that should do it for initial settings.With a clear road ahead, bring the car slowly up to 3000-3500 rpm in first gear, then have your driver go to full throttle until he hits 5000 rpm or so, then let off. You will probably see the boost spike when the pedal is initially depressed, then back off a little. That initial "spike" is controlled by the Start Duty setting. It will be different for each gear. Most likely, you will end up with a setting of -5% to -10% in the lower gears, and a figure around -20% to -25% in the higher gears.
Repeat this procedure in second and third gears until you eliminate any spikes when the pedal is first cracked wide open.If you go too far, you will get the opposite of a spike, e.g., the boost will be lower when the pedal is first cracked wide open then it will build. Remember, the Start Duty setting only has an effect in those first few moments when the turbo goes from little or no boost to full boost.
Note: Concentrate on the lower gears, as you'll be traveling pretty fast at 3500 RPM in fourth gear. Use the lower gears as your "training ground", then you can apply what you learn to the upper gears.
When your Start Duty setting is reliably limiting boost spikes, concentrate on getting RPM-Specific duty set. For me, this seemed to work best in second and third gears. At each rpm level,see if the boost remains EXACTLY where you want it (.8 bar). If the boost creeps at some rpm levels, decrease the percentage at that rpm. If it drops, increase it.
If none of your settings result in AT LEAST .8 bar, go back to the main Boost/Duty setting, and increase the percentage on the duty to a higher number. Don't change it by more than 5% at a time. You will see how boost builds differently depending upon the gear you are in and the engine rpm. Once you are familiar with the way changes to the settings affect your boost profile, you will be able to get the boost to go to .8 bar immediately and stay
there, with no overshoot.Now you can apply what you've learned to the boost in the higher gears. Since it's a bit tougher to find a wide open road for testing, this may take some time. One thing to remember is that you will likely experience a more severe case of initial overboost in the higher gears. At least, that was my experience. I typically needed to set the Start Duty in the upper gears in the range of -20 to -25%.
Once you've mastered this procedure, you can start adjusting the RPM-Specific settings in each RPM rang. You'll need to get into full-boost conditions in each RPM range to see how each setting affects the boost.
With the Start Duty and RPM-Specific settings adjusted, you can increase the Boost setting to .9 or 1.0 bar, and most of the other settings will be very close to their correct settings.This procedure will take time to implement, but you will gain an understanding of how each of the settings interacts with the others. Ultimately, you will squeeze the most performance out of your turbo without risking overboost conditions.

Basically, solenoid duty controls the boost level, start duty will stop the spikes in boost. I have found that you are more likely to get a boost spike when changing up gears rather than from running in one gear from low to high revs, so test both situations, and set the start duty to the lower setting as its safer

weeJohn

Lifer
I think it was mate, it was 3 years ago I found it.

Now mine is set up, to reduce boost, or increase it, all I do is adjust the duty cycle setting.

Its a great piece of kit, but complicated to set up. Worth it but in my opinion.