AWD 4efte question

tip

Member +
hi all,my brother's gonna forge his engine and likes to know how much horsepower the AWD gearbox and it's components can handle?

can the awd starlet guys help me out please?

goldenvtr

Member +
try looking on ukstarlet club, theres a few running 4wd on there, BUT i think its probly a gussing game as there so rare in high HP form

theres a few with around 250bhp but torque is a bigger factor

Ted

Member +
ive run 312hp dry launching with no problems. weejohn ran a similar turbo with nitrous so torque would be huge but he never dyno,d it. we have a complete spare drivetrain and havent had to use any of it yet.

tip

Member +
thanks guys, does anyone know what a safe compression ratio for the starlet is? is it safe to go with custom made high compression pistons or just stay with on the shelf forged pistons?

AdamB

Member +
You can run high compression pistons no problem, but make sure you run a standalone EMS to do the best possible job at controlling fuel and ignition.
Most people tend to opt for a low compression setup because it is more suited to higher than atmospheric pressure.

tip

Member +
ok thanks, do you know people who have tried high compression on the 4efte? what is a safe compression ratio for the starlet engine? stock is 8,2:1

AdamB

Member +
Rob H on here is running a 4EFE forged running high compression as far as i'm aware, not sure on what compression ratio he's running though.
You can run whatever compression ratio you want, its all in the tune at the end of the day, a higher compression engine will make more power but is more in danger to det.

tip

Member +
ok thanks, so instead of high compression it's better to stay with stock shaped forged pistons and crank up the boost?

AdamB

Member +
For driveability it would be best to stay around the stock compression ratio. Although the 4wd models have shorter gear ratio's so you could get away with running a lower compression ratio as the gear ratio's will help speed things up a little.