AWD starlet gearbox

tip

Member +
hello i have an AWD starlet with a GLANZA engine in it, i'd like to know which oil i can use for the gearbox.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Have a look at the Gearbox code - Trans/Axle - behind the VIN number under the bonnet first!

Then have a look here

Recommended API GL-4
SAE 75W-90

Models before 1996
C140,C141,C150,C153 - 2.4L
C52 - 2.6L

Models after 1996
C140, C150, C153 - 1.9L
C56 (WITH LSD) - 2.2L
C56 (Without LSD) - 1.9L
C50F - 2.2L

dac69er

Super Moderator
i have a sticker on my AWD box that says 75w-90 gl-5

thats what i used and it was fine. just make sure it is suitable for a syncromesh gearbox.

there was a thread posted previously and gl-4 75w-90 can work better on an older box with a bit of wear on the synchros ;)

Paul_JJ

Member +
i have a sticker on my AWD box that says 75w-90 gl-5

thats what i used and it was fine. just make sure it is suitable for a syncromesh gearbox.

there was a thread posted previously and gl-4 75w-90 can work better on an older box with a bit of wear on the synchros ;)

What's the model number for AWD Gearbox?

dac69er

Super Moderator
no idea. i can have a look when i get a chance. where is the model number usually stamped?

dac69er

Super Moderator
It's not the same, but i assume the op meant 4WD.

if you want to split hairs the box itself is actually awd as it will drive the front and rear wheels all the time, but due to the centre diff it is actually a 4wd vehicle.

Ted

Member +
i found after drag racing on new oil for a year that the gearbox oil was fine but transfer box seems to be under much more heat/pressure- oil had turned to gunk. would change that more regular i think

Paul_JJ

Member +
i found after drag racing on new oil for a year that the gearbox oil was fine but transfer box seems to be under much more heat/pressure- oil had turned to gunk. would change that more regular i think

I agree, JDM Honda senior mechanic and a man who does a lot of awesome tuning with over 1K BHP, recommend to change the gearbox oil every time you change your Engine oil, explaining it as they get a lot of pressure and get very hot and where is engine has coolant the gearbox has nothing but oil -)

weeJohn

Lifer
I have seen many times that some drag racers use either all automatic transmission fluid or a mix of box oil and auto fluid, the idea being that auto trans fluid has less density and creates less losses in the box.

Anyone any thoughts on this or know of it being done?