Bad Idle Fluctuation??? Oil pressure light!!

GlanzaTD04

Member +
Having major problems with my idle, normally will idle around 1500 but when i approach a junction etc and dip the clutch/heavy on brakes then the revs will die and bring the oil pressure light on! anyone got any ideas on what to check or possibly why it is doing this? any advice always appreciated! :)

kenchyturbo

Member +
hi there had same problem just make shore idlle srew isn't done right up shut.And the alan key grub srew with the nut on it may need adjusting near the throttle arm that makes the butterfly move made shore that wasnt closeing right up could be wrong but its what helped me :)

GlanzaTD04

Member +
the idle screw seems a bit loose but didnt want to mess around with it as i didnt really want to cover up the problem, will check the operation of the throttle plate and make sure this is closing properly! rep'd for that!

idle for the past 3yrs has been 1500, not sure if this is what my ecu tells it to be but would be happy for it to idle around that mark again, just not dropping to 5-600 :(

GlanzaTD04

Member +
on a standard motor 8-900 is usual but im running forged, 550cc injectors, dastek unichip etcc... so im guessing thats why my revs are normally 1500 plus its never been any different to this apart from now where there too low! :(

Rev

Member +
Suggestion 1 - I believe the ecu changes its behaviour at 1650 maybe your tacho is off ,try turning the idle down 200rpm if it goes below 1650 it may start to behave the way it did. Assuming you have replaced the usual canidates like leads , sparl plugs,rotor and distributor cap etc. An intake vaccum leak may have caused the idle to go up .

Suggestion 2 - These symptoms are also similar to over fueling , consider what may be causing this?

GlanzaTD04

Member +
thanks for the response rev, have not long changed the rotor, dizzy and the plugs although the leads are a good year old. checked all the vac pipes and had replaced them upon putting the engine back in. Whats used to control the idle when the clutch is dipped, i appreciate the revs drop but mines dropping far too much and cant stablize itself?

Rev

Member +
Just thinking you describe no load ( clutch in ) so piston is going down sooner than spark. Add to this ecu retard due to hot engine ( via air temp sensor) power can slump.
To test for engine retard you can pull out the air temp senor and see if the engine revs pick up. These are symptoms , the cause can be many things and combinations that have changed the engine balance. For example I have found -

> Too little oil causes engine revs to drop more.
> Static timing may be out.
> Quick acting temp sensor can be an issue.
> Dirty inlake can effect idle including cleaning map sensor outlet tube.
> Dirty Alternator fuse can effect revs by 200 rpm .
> Too flat a battery or battery not charging
> Earth connections
> air intake air heating up
> intercooler pipes heating up
> idle up not functioning properly - say when additional engine load on idle like when turning the steering wheel for example.

I 'm sure there are more possibilities that I have missed like have you got a bigger fuel pump some of these have bigger power requirements and may pull the system down ?
Also just thought there is the ecu engine cut mode when you hit the brakes that saves fuel so may be lack of fuel if thats possible with your injectors ?

Last edited: