Battery dying....?

Little Miss

Member +
When I went out to the car just before finishing work to start it, the battery was dead...for no apparent reason. I jump started the car and let it tick over for 10 minutes. When I got into it to drive off, I flicked on the lights and the car cut out. When I tried to start it again, the battery was completely dead. I got the car jump started, put the lights on and drove off with no problems.

Does any one have any idea what the cause of this could be or how to prevent it happening again? The battery is brand new about 2 months ago.

altenator could be on the way out or the battery could be fairly fucked, if the battery is gettin shitty then put epsom salts in it its great brings it back like new but id say could be something just left on draining the battery?

Little Miss

Member +
I dunno what though...no exterior/interior lights were left on, radio was off...

Just praying the wee bitch starts in the morning to get me to work :/

ive heard of the c/l draining the battery before but doubt its that, could be the altenator startn to give up or the charge in the battery could be fairly fucked

Tanz

Lifer
Firstly id check the terminals or it could be a bad earth id go doing that before writing anything else off...

J25GTi

Lifer
I'd be seeing if it happens again. Bare in mind cold weather will finish your battery off if it is on its last legs.

If it happens again you need to get a multi meter and measure the voltage when the car is running across the two terminals. It should be 14.4 volts. That will prove if the alternator is charging or not.

If the battery is fine and the alternator is fine you want to be checking for a load on the battery. There is a common problem with the interior light shorting out and draining the battery.

That should be enough to get on with for now! Hopefully it won't do it again and you won't need to try everything I've suggested

Paul_JJ

Member +
You can also measure the voltage of the battery itself, especially when starting the car! But I give you 99% you need a new battery! Try to charge it (do a long journey or use the battery charger) check the water level!

Little Miss

Member +
Update folks:

Left the car for 3 hours when I got home last night and then went out and started the car with no problems! Went out this morning and she was dead again...no booster pack at home and had the glanza blocking my mum's car so had to call a friend to take me to work.

So I'm now borrowing a car, a multi meter and a booster pack so that I can hopefully find the problem when I get home from work tonight.

I hope it's the battery over the alternator that's buggered cos I can't afford an alternator :( at least the battery is still under warranty.

Nwimie

Member +
if you take the battery back to where you bought it they can drop test the voltage output and if faulty give you a replacement. such a pain in the ass hope you sort it.

J25GTi

Lifer
It does sound like either the battery isn't holding charge. Or you have a load on it that is draining it.

Check it with the ignition turned off. Obviously you should get 12v.

With the engine running you should get 14.4v ish.

If those are fine you can get a clamp meter from an electrician (if you know one that would lend you it for an evening) and clamp it around the live cable without the keys in. And you shouldn't get any readings.

Like I said before stuff like the interior light could drain it over night etc. As they have a tendency to short circuit.

Little Miss

Member +
The alternator doesn't seem to be the problem....got her jump started there and got a multi meter on to the battery and it's reading what it should be! So, I'm taking the battery back to where I got it tomorrow to see about a replacement...

Pixie96

Member +
When I went out to the car just before finishing work to start it, the battery was dead...for no apparent reason. I jump started the car and let it tick over for 10 minutes. When I got into it to drive off, I flicked on the lights and the car cut out. When I tried to start it again, the battery was completely dead. I got the car jump started, put the lights on and drove off with no problems.

Does any one have any idea what the cause of this could be or how to prevent it happening again? The battery is brand new about 2 months ago.

Funny Man im Having The exact same problems Iv Been Told that its The earthing Of The batt That is gone because of the cold weather... Iv Been Told to go get a new batt and my batt is only new too...

Just thought i should let you cause the exact same thing is happening me!!

Last edited:

Arnold

Lifer
Any update to this, curious to know what the problem was. I'd have said alternator based on the posts mentioned above.

Little Miss

Member +
Finally got my arse into gear and took the battery down to the suppliers yesterday who tested it, and it's also fine. Everyone who has looked at it is completely baffled by it so the car has been sitting at work until I can find the motivation to get it moved, probably to an auto spark, to try and get it fixed.

WeeJohn...from I bought the new battery, it never sat on a concrete floor...unless it did at the suppliers...