bedding in new rear brake pads?

simon-GT

Fresh Recruit
ive just had some new rear pads in and they hv only done about 5 miles. I have got the MOT test tmrw, is there a quick way to bedding them in? I was thinking of rubbing them against some thin sand paper, would this be ok?

Or possibly driving with the handbrake slightly up? the reason is because last time i took it for the MOT test, it failed on the handbrake, but now ive replaced the cables and re-conditioned the calipers, the only thing that concerns me is that the pads are not worn in enough and wont hold the disks good enough to pass the handbrake test.

thanks
simon

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
modern road use brake pads don't need much bedding in mate, the handbrake method you mentioned would probably suffice, just put it on a click for 5 seconds or so every now and then on your way to the station.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i used to drive with the handbrake slightly up... theye are fine now.. but dont leave it tomuch!!!

davehart

Member +
I would not think you would need to wear the rear pads in for it to pass on an MOT, especially as you've changed the cables and given the calipers a re-condition.

My handbrake went the same way so I changed the cables, calipers and had new pads and it held fine. Just as long as it holds when its applied it should be fine.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
you wont need to bed the brakes in at all for it to pass a mot on the brake test.

we always fit new brakes then bang them straight on the tester after a roadtest and they work perfectly fine.

wat did your car actually fail on, brake efficiency or brakes unequal

simon-GT

Fresh Recruit
its passed now. actually, i had it tested on Saturday. i drove around on 1 click for around 10 seconds and then took it off, did this a few times, but did not completly stop the car. not sure if driving with the handbrake helped, but it was all gd.