Best Brake upgrade options for ep82

poombah

Fresh Recruit
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what the best brake upgrade option is for ep82 starlet. I have 16x7 wheels with 35 offset so i have plently of room. I want something that bolts on with minimal hassles as I find the factory brakes.. well completely inadequate.

cheers

- Russ

Dan3SGTE

Member +
staright bolt on but pricey was teh option i took. Set of 4 POT willwoods, they are absolutley great.

tom_hunt

Member +
If your changine the whole lot Id go for the Willwood kit that Dave has got. If your not changing it all go for something like 3g disks and Mintex pads and a set of uprated brake lines.

Tom

Last edited:

y3Lo

Member +
3g disks,mintex pads,bmcs and braided lines was a great improvement over stock for me. depends what sort of power your looking at running realy?

Elaine

Lifer
3g disks,mintex pads,bmcs and braided lines was a great improvement over stock for me. depends what sort of power your looking at running realy?

Agreed this is currently what I am the set up I am using.. However going forwards with running a bit more power I will be looking to change to a better kit.

If your just going to potter about town so to speck then I would really recommend going for the 3g kit, but if you doing more harder driving track ect I would really consider spending that bit more…

After doing an air filed day a few weeks ago it soon became apparent that the 3gs were just not up to the heat….

Dan3SGTE

Member +
do you have a link or model number? is it a full kit with rotors or just caliper?

It was the kit that MC Chu sold, not sure if he still sells..

Yes Full kit with rotors/Calipers/pads/lines etc.... I dont have the model number handy though... Look up MC chu on the forum for details of my Kit, alternatively TOBY and DAVE also sell there own brand of kits....

white-ep82

Member +
i have a set of 3Gs braided lines, mintex 1144 pads and motul fluid. Il let you know how they perform when I fit them. I found just changing pads a great improvement on my brakes, i thought the brakes are pretty good on starlets.

y3Lo

Member +
i thought the brakes were pretty bad on starlets before i changed mine. just make sure you get braided lines!

sdutton007

Member +
I've been told to uprate the front brakes, but to leave the rear brakes at the same size (perhaps with slightly better pads), so that the back won't step out every time i brake. Is this right?

Also, are there any cheap brake conversions (i.e. get the carriers and calipers from another fast/heavy 4-stud toyota, and uprated discs and pads for that car) ???

I've been told to uprate the front brakes, but to leave the rear brakes at the same size (perhaps with slightly better pads), so that the back won't step out every time i brake. Is this right?

Sound advice

Also, are there any cheap brake conversions (i.e. get the carriers and calipers from another fast/heavy 4-stud toyota, and uprated discs and pads for that car) ???

Yes mate, a few have done this

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
It's mostly the Levin twin pots that people use, speak to Riko666 he has done this conversion as well as Si Caln :)

We already make a 278mm 4 pot front kit and we are developing a rear 278mm single piston (38mm s/s piston) kit with separate hand brake caliper to match the fronts with a bias controller for the ultimate setup, you can view the fronts here:

http://www.toytuning.com/onlineshop/brakes

Rears are around a month away, we trialed different rear setups but this was the most cost effective and efficient way around it.

If you need any more info please let us know.

Best Regards,

Toby

Last edited:

Monkfish

Member +
The AE111 has twin pots up front, they bolt straight onto a Starlet and have slightly bigger disks. ST185 Celica GT4 2-pots fit under 15's, but only just, and you will need brackets made to fit. The ST205 GT-4 disks are quite large, and the calipers will need 16's as they're chunky 4-pots.

I'm currently running 3G 10 groove disks and Mintex 1144 pads on the front, stock pads and disks on the rear, plus DOT5.1 fluid and some of Mr Burwash's braided lines. Suited me fine on the couple of short outings I had on track.

If I were keeping the car, I'd be opting for some 280mm(ish) stock flat disks with suitable calipers from a larger Toyota (Gen7 Celica vvti 190 fits the bill I think), using Mintex 1144 pads. I wouldn't bother with drilled or slotted disks.

:)

Texx

Super Moderator
Im using 3G 20 groove discs, TRD pads, braided lines and a BMCS. They haven't improved braking power or reduced brake fade, but initial braking surge is a lot better.

IMO, if you want improved braking power, bigger brakes are the only option.

sdutton007

Member +
The AE111 has twin pots up front, they bolt straight onto a Starlet and have slightly bigger disks. ST185 Celica GT4 2-pots fit under 15's, but only just, and you will need brackets made to fit. The ST205 GT-4 disks are quite large, and the calipers will need 16's as they're chunky 4-pots.

I'm currently running 3G 10 groove disks and Mintex 1144 pads on the front, stock pads and disks on the rear, plus DOT5.1 fluid and some of Mr Burwash's braided lines. Suited me fine on the couple of short outings I had on track.

If I were keeping the car, I'd be opting for some 280mm(ish) stock flat disks with suitable calipers from a larger Toyota (Gen7 Celica vvti 190 fits the bill I think), using Mintex 1144 pads. I wouldn't bother with drilled or slotted disks.

:)

Where would I be able to get ST185 (or Celica 190) calipers from for a reasonable price? I'm guessing they will all be really expensive new, so does anybody know any good online shops that sell secondhand calipers?

Cheers