Best front Speakers (10cm?) for Glanza?

drew

Member +
Hi guys,

Ok i'm not expecting these to pump out any serious base, but ive upgraded my headunit and got myself a sub and amp, but before i fit the sub etc, i wanted to upgrade my front speakers

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Dave.

Member +
I've got a set of small kenwoods up front, got them for a tenner in a halfords sale.

Make sure you give them something solid to mount too though, I fired mine right in without thinking, and they sound worse than stock if you put any bass through them at all, because they have nothing to 'push' against except the flimsy dash.

Dave

drew

Member +
Cheers guys,

What did you mount yours to? a bit of mdf?

Where you happy with the sound? much of an improvement of stock?

Yeah ive been on a view sites, but motorworld and halfords have a sale on near me so im gonna pop in and see whats what.

Just wanted to know what people have and what they thought

Thanks

Gryzor

Admin
I put in some nice rainbow speakers in, gave a good improvement over the oems.
I've a tutorial on here somewhere with the part nos etc..

Dave.

Member +
If you wanted to 'reinforce' it a little, then a 10cm piece of MDF cut to fit should do the job, if you can mount it securely in there.

What I've done, that actually works is...

Bought some JBL 6x9's, no amp and wired straight to the stereo. Bought some 6x9 boxes, and placed them on the floor, one behind each seat (Driver, Passenger). I've no rear interior, which makes this ideal for me :) cheap and cheerful, only cost about £40 inc delviery... Boxes were £27 and 6x9s a tenner!

The 6x9 boxes make a craaaaazy difference to the audio quality

Dave

Matchew

Member +
If you wanted to 'reinforce' it a little, then a 10cm piece of MDF cut to fit should do the job, if you can mount it securely in there.

What I've done, that actually works is...

Bought some JBL 6x9's, no amp and wired straight to the stereo. Bought some 6x9 boxes, and placed them on the floor, one behind each seat (Driver, Passenger). I've no rear interior, which makes this ideal for me :)

The 6x9 boxes make a craaaaazy difference to the audio quality

Dave

Same here got them aswell there awesome even without an amp

munday

Member +
If you are going for sound quality then don't go for 6x9s, especially as you already have a sub. They are the wrong shape to reproduce the frequencies you need, and with a sub they are pointless anyway.

As dave said try and use MDF to reinforce where the speaker is mounted, but for best sound you really need to build speaker pods to mount down by your feet, this moves the speakers further away from your ears and helps to minimise the time difference for the sound to reach your ears from each speaker.

Are you wanting 2-ways, 3-ways or compnents? Components would be best, but to run them at their best ability you need to amp them and find somwhere to mount the tweeters.

HTH :cool:

Dave.

Member +
Imo, as long as you use a HPF (High Pass Filter) to reduce the low frequency sound (the frequency the subwoofer will be producing) then the 6x9's can compliment the sub very well. Bearing in mind, they should both be in phase with each other (as will all speakers!)

If you do this, you shouldn't (can't?) degrade the audio quality, simply increase the range within which you get accurate audio.

Also, the JBL 6x9s, as with all decent ones, come with co-axial tweeters integrated, so I can't see how they won't reproduce sound properly...

Just what I've picked up over the years, and not a dig at any other information, just a different perspective! Personally though, I'd run with just the 6x9's and the front speakers :)

Dave

C

CTR_Timmy

Budget Speakers - Mutant XXX 6.5 inch Component Speakers £35
Mid Range - Kicker Component Speakers £45+
High Range - Focal £250+

I had the Mutant in my GT and they sounded awesome. It depends on your budget i can source you great set if you pm me your budget

glanzanut

Lifer
Imo, as long as you use a HPF (High Pass Filter) to reduce the low frequency sound (the frequency the subwoofer will be producing) then the 6x9's can compliment the sub very well. Bearing in mind, they should both be in phase with each other (as will all speakers!)

If you do this, you shouldn't (can't?) degrade the audio quality, simply increase the range within which you get accurate audio.

Also, the JBL 6x9s, as with all decent ones, come with co-axial tweeters integrated, so I can't see how they won't reproduce sound properly...

Just what I've picked up over the years, and not a dig at any other information, just a different perspective! Personally though, I'd run with just the 6x9's and the front speakers :)

Dave

i agree with u mate, saying 6x9s dont work with a sub isnt true. a decent set does compliment a sub!:freddy:

Nippon

Member +
I have MTX Thunder 4" speakers in the dash.

The original mounts only have 2 screws to keep them in and the do sound rubbish with just those. I made some custom mounts from MDF to keep them solid. Sound really good.

drew

Member +
Cheers guys,

Not really after components or anything like that, i'm not a bog ice man, just want to upgrade the fronnts and have a bit of base.

I had a look last night and motor world were selling some alpine sxe-1025s (think there type e's) for 21.99, halfords were selling them for 30 sound ok as i tested them out, and it says custom fit.

So i presume this means they'll fit most cars?.....

Sharv

Member +
Am using pioneer 10 cm speakers on the original mounting points in my Glanza and they have been fixed properly.