Bit of helpful info here for peeps with coilover's and MOT

Vglanza

Member +
Right well my mate bought himself a new set of coilovers for his mk4 golf, height adjustable only. He took his car too an MOT centre, car went threw the works and the fella handed him a Fail certificate, and told him the car had failed as in his opinion the car was too stiff and that it would bounce of the road. To say the Least he Wasn't too happy and asked for the person in charge, he argued with them that the car had passed the shock test and couldn't fail the car when it had passed the specific tests and that the Coilover where TUV stamped. He ended up getting it passed but the person in charge said that there has been a new law introduced over here(not sure about the rest of the uk) that if a car is too stiff and they feel it is dangerous they can fail it. which completely defeats the purpose of getting coilover's, they are desinged too improve the handling. And majority of them are stiff. I can understand if the car was on the bump stops or the springs have been cut, yes that is dangerous but when we buy coilovers we are trying too do it right and now this? Whats next. Thought i would let eveyone know this is as myself and alot of others spend hard earned money on coilovers, and thought this would give everyone a heads up.

adi271087

Fresh Recruit
just ask mi mate and its not over here and said it dnt make sense eather so a 500k track focused ferrari would fail or a atom ????????

danb87

South East England Area Rep
well ive never heard of a car failing a mot becausse of the stiffness of the ride. new too me

Rory

Lifer
Remember if the suspension is to stiff, it wont work.
Same as having burst damper, they dont work either.
there has to be ahappy medium somewhere, but it would be down to the MOT test centers disgression on it. (From a saftey point of view)

Ferrari's and Atoms are fairly tame in the suspension depertment. ;)

Vglanza

Member +
It was Ballymena, anyone from that area wont be suprised too hear that. I know what you mean Rory although i cant see a company selling a TUV approved suspension that doesnt work. As you say its down too there disgression, was just this particular tester, and obviously the person in charge didnt want too come in and stand on his toes so made it seem like he was doing you a favor. But he did inform him they had brought some new legislation for it. But you guys could be lucky in the mainland and not get it, there is a serious problem over here with people putting cars on bump stops and cuttting the springs, They bring out the mobile test centre over here quite often, or go into car parks and make people go threw Tests there and then, if the car fails then it gets taken off you.