Blow off valve problems

dave-izzle

Member +
Our story begins when Local hero (me) purchased his new blitz cooler. Coupled with my blitz super sound bov it would sound quite funky. But, ever since i've had the FMIC i've had problems getting a bov to work. My blitz super sound worked fine on the tmic, but when i switched to a fmic setup, i only ever got a mix of compressor surge "chatter" and a small amount of 'blow off' noise at the same time. to be frank, it sounded gay. Then, for reasons unknown, the blitz Super sound died and failed to blow off at all, no matter how hard i set the spring with the adjuster......

So i ran it with no bov for a while, just using the classic surge noise, and then upgrading to a hybrid which sounded much nicer when it chatted it's little heart out. So then today i recieved a HKS SSQV (used) hoping to go back to the classic " blow off " noise turbo owners love to hear. after all, it has been probably 5 months since the blitz unit died on me. so i hooked up the ssqv and i still get the same problem as i did with the blitz bov! A small amount of 'blow off" noise with alot of surge. Adjusting it doesn't make any real difference.

So, is it a problem with the cooler? or am i missing something somewhere????

All suggestions are appreciated :)

robbie_g

Member +
Our story begins when Local hero (me) purchased his new blitz cooler. Coupled with my blitz super sound bov it would sound quite funky. But, ever since i've had the FMIC i've had problems getting a bov to work. My blitz super sound worked fine on the tmic, but when i switched to a fmic setup, i only ever got a mix of compressor surge "chatter" and a small amount of 'blow off' noise at the same time. to be frank, it sounded gay. Then, for reasons unknown, the blitz Super sound died and failed to blow off at all, no matter how hard i set the spring with the adjuster......

So i ran it with no bov for a while, just using the classic surge noise, and then upgrading to a hybrid which sounded much nicer when it chatted it's little heart out. So then today i recieved a HKS SSQV (used) hoping to go back to the classic " blow off " noise turbo owners love to hear. after all, it has been probably 5 months since the blitz unit died on me. so i hooked up the ssqv and i still get the same problem as i did with the blitz bov! A small amount of 'blow off" noise with alot of surge. Adjusting it doesn't make any real difference.

So, is it a problem with the cooler? or am i missing something somewhere????

All suggestions are appreciated :)

could be wrong ere , but this the hks ssqv is sopose to sound like that, not sure about the blitz, i,ve heared 2 hks ones and both give off the 'chatter effect and 'blow off' ... hope that helps

dave-izzle

Member +
well, i've heard ssqv's on other cars around here, like a subaru and they're really loud and not a hint of chatter. not sure about the starlets though cause i'm the only starlet in the village :(

Adam_Glanza

Member +
could be wrong ere , but this the hks ssqv is sopose to sound like that, not sure about the blitz, i,ve heared 2 hks ones and both give off the 'chatter effect and 'blow off' ... hope that helps

thats not true lol.

they make a chirp, ones with chatter just arent adjusted correctly

Duff

Member +
Did you check the vac pipe from the inlet mani to make sure it isnt blocked? This happend me last year..

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
Are you sure all your hoses are joined correctly with jubilee lcips and the bov ofc? i have a hks ssqv and it is a high pinched chirp as said above. over than that could there be a problem where the bov is situated?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
It's not sound related it's because there isn't enough pressure to open the valve fully, adding a front mount means added pipe work, this means the pressurised/charged air has further to travel before it reaches the engine.

You most probably need to change the spring in the BOV as it's too strong therefore not blowing off correctly, if your getting surge noises and BOV noises then it's not right and the valve isn't getting the chance it needs to open fully hence some is returned and it surges.

This is quite common when you don't buy a Starlet specific BOV (like using a Supra ones as it requires more pressurised air, larger engine, more boost). The same can happen when you use a BOV that's Starlet specific but meant to sit off the TMIC which has much shorter piping. Could also be something silly like a leak or gasket hole.

T

mickscanlon

Member +
day can make diff sounds depends on how ya let the foot off. it can chatter or a high pitch sound... i have one on a ep91 should be d same on the ep82..

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yeah ok i have one on my car too, yes if you release your foot slowly it does chatter but that isnt really how it should be done

Aidan-G

Member +
is it a blitz LM fmic?

if it is i have had one on a ct9,the pipe which comes off for the dump valve is in a silly place tbh it should be up nearer the throttle body..and the pipe itself is too thin/narrow for my liking

ive heard of some people cutting the pipe off,making a larger hole and rewelding a larger bit of pipe on

there was a thread about it a long long time ago:)

PelvisGt

Member +
This is excatly like mine, someone esle had the same problem but it was a faulty blitz bov.

What boost you running?

By the sounds of it the pipe going from the fmic to bov is'nt big enough you need a bigger diameter pipe to vent more of the air through the bov. Happened to me before my ssqv had the the pipe from the tmic being used with an fmic all I got was chatter sorted it with a wider pipe.:)

Last edited:

robbie_g

Member +
well, i've heard ssqv's on other cars around here, like a subaru and they're really loud and not a hint of chatter. not sure about the starlets though cause i'm the only starlet in the village :(

ya the two i heard are both on a glanza:drive:

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Yeah again another good point lads, it's all based down to not being able to exert enough pressure whether it be the spring in the BOV or the size on the flange restricting it. The Blitz LM is made with stock boost in mind.

Regardless on WOT you should have no chatter, NOT like this :p:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...6729&ei=-PlsSdb5KZ-QiQLPhvyqBQ&q=starlet+ep82

But god did it turn heads people thought I was running a huge turbo but it was only a K1!

T

Last edited:
It's not sound related it's because there isn't enough pressure to open the valve fully, adding a front mount means added pipe work, this means the pressurised/charged air has further to travel before it reaches the engine.

You most probably need to change the spring in the BOV as it's too strong therefore not blowing off correctly, if your getting surge noises and BOV noises then it's not right and the valve isn't getting the chance it needs to open fully hence some is returned and it surges.

This is quite common when you don't buy a Starlet specific BOV (like using a Supra ones as it requires more pressurised air, larger engine, more boost). The same can happen when you use a BOV that's Starlet specific but meant to sit off the TMIC which has much shorter piping. Could also be something silly like a leak or gasket hole.

T

Lol here you go duck call FTW!

Clicky

clicky

Toby@ToyTuning.com

:p :rockon:

Classic mate. You should get it surging and ducking, then you would get a POW QUACK!

But yeah you shouldn't have any surge, my video is no BOV, just surge straight out the filter at the front but your turbo won't last long.

T

Last edited:

basketash

Member +
is it a blitz LM fmic?

if it is i have had one on a ct9,the pipe which comes off for the dump valve is in a silly place tbh it should be up nearer the throttle body..and the pipe itself is too thin/narrow for my liking

ive heard of some people cutting the pipe off,making a larger hole and rewelding a larger bit of pipe on

there was a thread about it a long long time ago:)

i did this adding a new large pipe very useful and saves time in the long run

dave-izzle

Member +
thanks for all the helpful replies guys!!

Yeah it is a Blitz LM, and i was actually thinking that the pipe was too small, but i didn't think it could stop it as much as it is doing. i will get the bov mounted up near the throttle body with a nice big diameter amd see if that solves the problem/ thank you once again, as this has been doing my tree in for ages

Aidan-G

Member +
thanks for all the helpful replies guys!!

Yeah it is a Blitz LM, and i was actually thinking that the pipe was too small, but i didn't think it could stop it as much as it is doing. i will get the bov mounted up near the throttle body with a nice big diameter amd see if that solves the problem/ thank you once again, as this has been doing my tree in for ages

let us know how you get on,and get some pics up:)