Blueish smoke when i start my car?

GT_Chris

Member +
Ive noticed my car smokes abit when i first start the car, but only if i give it a bit of revs? but its fine once warmed up and driving along? if only smokes if i go near the limiter.

Ben89

Lifer
Ive noticed my car smokes abit when i first start the car, but only if i give it a bit of revs? but its fine once warmed up and driving along? if only smokes if i go near the limiter.

sounds to me like valve oil stem seals are letting by, its not a massive problem but it will eventually get worse untill the smoke is there 100% of the time.

Ben89

Lifer
well first to elimate the pistonh rings i would do a compression test, and check the intercooler pipes for oil, also take the cat off the turbo and check the exhaust housing for oil.

Valve stem oil seals are a bit of an involved job really, you have to removes the head strip it right back remove the valves replace the seals and relap the valves. you could maybe buy a second hand head off someone on here but theres no garuntee it will last as these cars are getiing old and stem seals are common on cars 10+ years old.

GT_Chris

Member +
well first to elimate the pistonh rings i would do a compression test, and check the intercooler pipes for oil, also take the cat off the turbo and check the exhaust housing for oil.

Valve stem oil seals are a bit of an involved job really, you have to removes the head strip it right back remove the valves replace the seals and relap the valves. you could maybe buy a second hand head off someone on here but theres no garuntee it will last as these cars are getiing old and stem seals are common on cars 10+ years old.

Ive got too spare cylinder heads here from previous blown up engines, but 4 of the valves are buggered on each head due to where the piston melted.

ct9 turbos are common for oil seals to go soon it will only do it when you rev it from first start as its pushing most the air though and will pick up the oil from the turbo and burn it with the fuel.... easy way to check is take your intake pipe off see if you see any oil init or the outlet of the turbo have a look mate

also valve stem seals can be down at a garage without head removing as we do it at vauxhall just needs the right tools basically feal the cylinder up with compressed air to a point to keep the valve up and stop it from droping and doing the seals one by one.....