Bmw e36 316 service manual helppppp!!!

350ep70gr

Member +
Can any one point me the right direction to find a service manual for the 1.6 engine? The chain type engine...
I think i have f**k the engine.
Also anyone know if it is interface or non interface...(hope it is non interface other wise..:shoot:)
I can find for bigger e36 models but not for the 1,6.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
I haven't got a shop manual, but what do you need to know Chris?

I'm sure the 1.6 164E2 (chain driven) engine is an interference type.

350ep70gr

Member +
I haven't got a shop manual, but what do you need to know Chris?

I'm sure the 1.6 164E2 (chain driven) engine is an interference type.

I went for a drive and stop it normaly. Then after a few hours i went to start up and the engine was spinning free like no comp. I remove a plug and no comp. I open top cover and find out some plastic pieces around probably from a broken tensioner (long one). I turn it by hand and it is like no resistance to the pulley.Also when turn the right direction chain is ok when try to turn the wrong direction chain is completly loose fron the one side. Also seems like the bottom gear spinning on the crank or the chain is jumping teeths on the bottom gear,or like the bottom gear is half in place and the other half is missing if you get what i mean.

I try to search for the manual to see what is involved to reach the bottom gear. It is inside the sump or outside behind the bottom pulley?And also to see if it is a key or something holding the gear and how the 2 tensioners should be.staff like that...!

Thanks in advance

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
I can give you this much so far, but I'll have a dig around and see what else I've got for that engine.

316timingprocedure.jpg

316timingdiagram.jpg

350ep70gr

Member +
Thanks for this tery! I have it in my auto data cd. Do you know for checking the bottom gear if i must remove sump or only the front of the engine covers behind bottom pulley? I dont think i have tensioner rails anymore... and i see me to replace 8 bend valves if it is interface.
Thanks for your help so far...
Rep added for the fast reply and the willing to help me with my prob.

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
I used my phone, so I apologise for the quality, but hopefully they'll be of some use.
Clicking the images should show them in full size. :)

316-1.jpg

316-2.jpg

316-3.jpg

316-4.jpg

316-5.jpg

316-6.jpg

316-7.jpg

316-8.jpg

Texx

Super Moderator
The manual I've got is a good old fashioned paper manual, so I took a few photos of the pages I thought would be relevant. i.e. removal and refit of timing chain, covers, sprockets, tensioner and camshafts.

The cylinder head section is 26 pages, I've no scanner so if I can dig out a camera that performs a little better than my phone I'll sort them out and post them up.

350ep70gr

Member +
Small update: engine is F**ked....

Anyone want a video how to remove timing chain ,head and how to replace at least 4 bended valves?LOLLOLLOL

I m gone shoot the damn bmer:shoot::p:shoot::p:shoot::p

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
That's a little upsetting Chris! :(

You might need to be a little careful when removing and installing the camshaft. I'm not too sure with the SOHC M43 engine, but BMW tend to use hollow camshafts that like to snap. There's a service tool for compressing the valve springs to enable removal of the cam followers before removing the cam, but as long as you progressively loosen and tighten the cap bolts in sequence you shouldn't have any problems doing it without the tool. I think it's the M42 engine from the 318is Coupe that you have to use a special tool with due to the layout of the DOHC's.

350ep70gr

Member +
That's a little upsetting Chris! :(

You might need to be a little careful when removing and installing the camshaft. I'm not too sure with the SOHC M43 engine, but BMW tend to use hollow camshafts that like to snap. There's a service tool for compressing the valve springs to enable removal of the cam followers before removing the cam, but as long as you progressively loosen and tighten the cap bolts in sequence you shouldn't have any problems doing it without the tool. I think it's the M42 engine from the 318is Coupe that you have to use a special tool with due to the layout of the DOHC's.

No need to remove the cam..i will sent all the head to the machine shop for a refresh.

Chris