bonnet with "orange peel" finish need advice

alan_5555

Member +
A friend of mine's bonnet on his car was painted before he bought it, Paint looks to have covered the panel well but it still has that "orange peel" look about it.

Would wet sanding and or t cut ( + a hell of a lot of elbow grease) clear this up?

Im thinking 1500 wet sandpaper and then a final t cut? reckon this would give a better finish?

Cheers

corofin12345

Member +
A friend of mine's bonnet on his car was painted before he bought it, Paint looks to have covered the panel well but it still has that "orange peel" look about it.

Would wet sanding and or t cut ( + a hell of a lot of elbow grease) clear this up?

Im thinking 1500 wet sandpaper and then a final t cut? reckon this would give a better finish?

Cheers

wet sand then compound it:)

Brendanlez

Member +
Wet sand it with 2000 grade paper, get some cutting compund from your local autofactors like 3M Fine Cut. Work that in by hand will be enough, wash it and let it dry so you can make sure you get all the marks and then Tcut and a polish and it will be as good as new lad

alan_5555

Member +
Wet sand it with 2000 grade paper, get some cutting compund from your local autofactors like 3M Fine Cut. Work that in by hand will be enough, wash it and let it dry so you can make sure you get all the marks and then Tcut and a polish and it will be as good as new lad

Thanks Bren,

We'll give that a go, Sounds quite simple!

Cheers for the advice:beer:

Brendanlez

Member +
It is just take your time and remember using the cutting compund by hand is a bit tedious, helps to to have a water spray there, just put a mist of water on when you are doing it, makes the compund that bit easier to work in

alan_5555

Member +
It is just take your time and remember using the cutting compund by hand is a bit tedious, helps to to have a water spray there, just put a mist of water on when you are doing it, makes the compund that bit easier to work in

Did all this today, end result was perfect!! took my time with the 2000 and the cutting compound, got the paint all nice and flat then t cut then final wax, Then waxed the whole car it looks amazing now, well pleased!!

Total time it took was 1.5 hour as i was in no rush.

corofin12345

Member +
Did all this today, end result was perfect!! took my time with the 2000 and the cutting compound, got the paint all nice and flat then t cut then final wax, Then waxed the whole car it looks amazing now, well pleased!!

Total time it took was 1.5 hour as i was in no rush.

glad 2 hear man:)

Aga

Member +
the most useful thing when dealing with such stuff is using a flexible sanding pad. as for polishing, an orbital polisher can be very cheap, you can buy a basic one for 40-50 pounds, or a complete kit with pads and polishing compounds for 120-150... always useful to have.