Boost Control Issues / Configuration

muthaducka

Member +
Hi Guys

I went to an RR day and the data showed that my boost is getting two different signals, one from the AVC-R control and one from the actuator control. The is also a convern over the fueling for the two boost settings controlled by the avc-r because there is not setup on my car for altering the fuel for each boost setting.

In keeping with the ethos of my project, I am keen to get mechanically involved and learn new things and perhaps at the same time simplify things.

I have sold the avc-r in favour of using a GReddy TVVC manual boost controller. I have also bought a boost gauge and afr gauge to keep an eye on things.

Here are a few links to pictures taken that show the TVVC in my hand and the loose hose connections from removal of the avc-r.

The tvvc instructions show connection from wastegate to tvvc to turbo.
I have one hose from the wastegate and another from the inlet manifold?

Please have a look at the pictures, I would appreciate your feedback:

23072008054.jpg

23072008053.jpg

23072008052.jpg

I've thought about just letting the actuator control the boost without the need for the manual boost controller - would that be a good idea as I only really want / need one good boost setting previously mapped at 1.1 bar last year. On the other hand I've read into the subject a bit and have found that the use of a boost controller help eliminate boost creep so maybe I should use the TVVC. Again, any feedback appreciated.

My car has been off the road for 5 weeks following my brake converstion to celica GT4 calipers. It is now ready to rock, pending flat battery (doh) and setup of boost control.

Here is a pic from the new brake setup:

22072008050.jpg

Better pics and write-up to follow after testing

Thanks

Matt

fur

Member +
shouldn't have gotten rid of the avcr mate
that is all you needed to control the boost properly. and you only need to have your fueling sorted for the higher of the two boost settings on the avcr as it will pass thru the lower boost setting regardless
also won't be able to run 1.1 with only the actuator connected to the compressor housing unless the actuator is adjustable, AVCR > greddy MBC any day

muthaducka

Member +
It's funny how comments can lead you onto one thing. If I have not attended the RR day, I would have assumed all ok and the car might have been fine. It was suggested that the AVC-r be removed with an alternative setup.

Lots of people use the AVC-r successfully, there is no doubting that but I've taken a different route and need some help this way.

It hasn't got a standard turbo or standard actuator. I can't see any markings on the actuator but its at least 50mm in diameter.

What I can't understand is why have the actuator control boost and then have a boost controller to control boost as well if you only want one good map at one boost level. Can the necessary boost be created just using adjustment of the actuator or is a boost controller necessary on top?