Boost Controllers

GT_TURBO MAN CAN

Fresh Recruit
Could someone explain to me how exactly a boost controller works?
I know a bit but i still have a few questions
Just say i have an adjustable actuator set at .8 bar and when i have a boost controller you increase it to lets say 1.0 bar... does it go to 1.0 bar or wil it stay at .8
And if you did it in reverse actuator set at .8 and you use bc to turn it down to .6 bar will it drop or stay the same?
Also whats the best way to have your boost set actuator or bc or both
Iv been looking around at some of them like
http://www.tm-developments.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=475
and
http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/ProductItem-2871.aspx
Is it worth buying a expensive one or do they all work just as good? can anyone recommend a good one i only plan on boosting to 0.9 bar
and finally what does scramble boost do? it says programable scramble boost on some bc's
sorry for all the questions rep will be given :)

A boost controller is basically fooling the actuator into thinking the car is running at standard boost when it really isn't. The starlet runs at 0.65 bar standard on high boost so when you fit a boost controller it is connected to the hose which goes from the inlet manifold to the actuator in between both of them. This is the hose that pressurises the actuator causing it to open and close. The way it works is this, when you set the boost controller to 1 bar, for example, the inlet manifold pressurise to 1bar and that 1bar pressure travels down the hose to the boost controller which in turn vents off 0.35bar of that boost pressure leaving 0.65 bar remaining in the hose which continues on further to the actuator causing it to open. If for example you turn the boost controller to 1.1bar it now vents off 0.45bar again leaving the actuator to open at 0.65bar.

You cant use a boost controller to decrease boost below the lowest level at which the actuator is set, be it 0.65bar for standard or what ever boost you may have set on an adjustable actuator such as the HKS adjustable actuator. A boost controller can only vent off which means it can only INCREASE boost.

There is no real BEST way to set it up, just to make sure you have an actuator which is in perfect working order and a boost controller that can do the job properly. I personally like the 'GReddy Profec B-Spec II' but there are alot of excellent controllers out there now.

Scramble boost is like an over-boost function that works for a limited time. Like If your boost controller is set to 1bar for normal everyday working and you set your scramble boost to 1.2bar, when you press the scramble boost button the boost controller will allow you to run 1.2bar boost for 10 seconds or whatever the scramble boost time is set to

I hope I have been able to explain it properly

Last edited: