Boost Increase

joshy23

Fresh Recruit
I have just installed a Boost Gauge into my ep82 4EFTE 91' with the help from the forum.THANX!!!

Just wondering a few things:

Can you increase psi without getting a boost controller by adjusting the stock actuator?

If so, can these turbos handle 12ps1?

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
search for it lad.

The standard acuator is not adjustaable.

And if you turn the boost up you'll need to compensate fueling along with other things.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
you'll need to get a HKS or Toytuning ajustable actuator or a manual boost controler at the lease, I would recomend a new actuator.

Fuel Cut is .8 bar + or - .05 bar so anything around that and you'll be fine

joshy23

Fresh Recruit
Yeah I heard that 12psi is sufficient, anything over that fuel cut kicks in. And some guy on here said that you can adjust the stock actuator?

ok, so HKS then a MBC is what i need yes? Is 12psi alright for the engine?

Franza1

Well If you do go for the HKS actuator you won't need the MBC as the HKS unit is ajustable

joshy23

Fresh Recruit
with the HKS actuator can u adjust 1 psi at a time without going over board? I read that a MBC is a must for fine tuning increase

Craig_GT

Lifer
the HKS actuator its kinda trial and error mate.. there is a guide on here somewhere which gives the ratio between actuator set length and boost in psi.
im sure someone on here will have the exact figures.. best is to set roughly using the guide then check on ur guage what ur boosting to and adjust accordingly

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
the HKS actuator its kinda trial and error mate.. there is a guide on here somewhere which gives the ratio between actuator set length and boost in psi.
im sure someone on here will have the exact figures.. best is to set roughly using the guide then check on ur guage what ur boosting to and adjust accordingly

Your probably better of setting it off your standard acuator lenth,at least its kind of a proven lenth etc seeig as most cars are different

joshy23

Fresh Recruit
Thanx for the help - yeah i saw the thread on here. I will do so when i get the money to buy a HKS. I was looking for a cheaper option. MBC are so cheap here in comparison with HKS they range from bout 200 - 300 bucks where MBC are 30 - 70.so i will have to wait a while. I thought a MBC were all i needed. For now, i will bore out my CAT just for that minimal increase in HP, and look at a HKS when the funds are right

Craig_GT

Lifer
check toby on here.. his HKS actuators are not far of 80 sheets. or his toy tuning ones are cheaper again

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Toytuning's acuators are cheaper than the HKS model;)

And you you can pick up a new EBC for €250

joshy23

Fresh Recruit
but im from NZ so the exchange rate ends up to be the same as NZ prices. Il keep looking on our trademe website to bid on 2nd hand ones

joshy23

Fresh Recruit
hay, can i not just install a MBC to increase boost? and then wait till i save and get a actuator or do i need to get a Adjustable Actuator 1st to increase boost?

Franza1

hay, can i not just install a MBC to increase boost? and then wait till i save and get a actuator or do i need to get a Adjustable Actuator 1st to increase boost?

you can but to be honest the standard actuator is around 10 years old now and may not hold up too well.

joshy23

Fresh Recruit
Oh I see, that sux... ok then ill wait to get one then. Well are there any other ways to increase speed. Im thinking of boring out my catalac converter!

jayrodz

Fresh Recruit
can some one please tell me if the The all new BCU+ its ok to buy? im in need of a boost controler i saw the bcu and need help to fine out if they work good, ty