Boost leak/fuel cut

gtevi

Member +
Hey guys my gt starlet is hitting what I think is fuel cut at just under 5k with my foot flat to the floor.
Would it be worth getting a boost and vaccum leak test to check for any tiny leaks, all the hose are very old but I can't see any damage or cracks.
Is it something easy enough to do yourself or best to get a mechanic to do?
For reference I have a 94 gt with exhaust, decat, wepr mani hks adjustment actuator, ct9 (rebuild)with wastegate slightly ported.

SKINY

Lifer
Hose leaks can be a nuisance to find on old hoses, you could try listening while blipping the throttle or some soapy water rubbed over them will soon reveal bubbles
You can do a smoke test yourself, plenty of videos on YouTube shows how it's done :)

gtevi

Member +
Yeah I've seen few YouTube clips but none on a 4efte. I know it would be the same situation for most motors but I'm far from a mechanic and a little paranoid ill do something stupid.
Skinny, you been a big help in my journey so far if I could judt get your guidance or steps as to how I go about it, it would be a massive help.
This is my girl. Cheers

Attachments

• 20240211_194340.jpg
    20240211_194340.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 8

gtevi

Member +
Yeah I've seen few YouTube clips but none on a 4efte. I know it would be the same situation for most motors but I'm far from a mechanic and a little paranoid ill do something stupid.
Skinny, you been a big help in my journey so far if I could judt get your guidance or steps as to how I go about it, it would be a massive help.
This is my girl. Cheers
Referring to the smoke test, couldn't find/hear anything with the motor on.

Badmoon

Member +
Are you really sure you are hitting fuel cut? I had a cracked hose just before the MAP sensor and I never hit fuel cut... What it did, I believe, was to mess with the reading of the sensor which allowed higher boost pressure in the system, not hitting fuel cut and resulting in a broken piston in my case. When you hit fuel cut the engine suddently stops to produce power which results in a violent shake, its not something good to experience and neither do you want to hit it.

gtevi

Member +
I'm 99% sure it's fuel cut I does violently jolt at around 4.5k. I adjusted the actuator out 1 rotation that has stopped it. I would like to dos a proper smoke test to check for vac or boost leaks when I get the chance.

gtevi

Member +
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I've just done the engine diagnostic abd it's only giving me fault code 12.
I've also noticed its idling around 1200 rpm.

SKINY

Lifer
Always a fun 1 that
Check condition of your dizzy cap, roter arm, king lead, connections etc, check the ignitor plugs too and wiring etc :)
Dizzy send a signal to the ignitor to let it know its turning then the ignitor sends the signal back to the dizzy to tell it to send sparks down the leads :)
Can also be a snapped timing belt, but car wouldn't run then and you would hear a difference with only the bottom end moving when cranking.

to expand on Skiny's etc.---spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, coil,

depending, you could start with the cheap/easy ones first---rotor arm, dizzy cap, spark plugs, king lead & spark plug wires, connections/wiring/grounding,

then get to testing/checking the more expensive items---ignitor, coil, distributor

look for wear/hairline cracks/breaks in the rotor arm, distributor cap, spark plug wires...look for corrosion in the plug wire connections to the coil and dizzy....look for oil/residue in the distributor cap and distributor signal points

if you have time, you can change each item one by one...so you identify the problem

SKINY

Lifer
Yea Buddy :)
Mine had a slight misfire that was only picked up on the dyno, didn't even notice it driving. It was the Dizzy cap and king lead end that had a badly corroded terminal, Jay lucky enough had a spare in stock that he kindly lent me until new stuff came from Toyota :)

gtevi

Member +
Check the dizzy and rotor are and they seem pretty good condition. What's the best way to check condition of king lead.
Also a little off topic but it's there anyone on here that can make or have a bracket for a rotated ct9 for a short route fmic piping? Should I post this elsewhere?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_214508_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_214508_Samsung Internet.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240320_214503_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_214503_Samsung Internet.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 3