Boost Problem - Strange Noise

Rosco

Member +
Fitted my Wepr FMIC and new Turbo seals at the weekend.

The car was running fine afterwards but after 10-15 mins of driving the car is now making a strange noise. When the turbo spools its making a low/deep whoosh. The car was boosting fine but after a few mins it will not boost more than 0.1 BAR and is making a higher pitched noise. Its hard to describe the noise but its higher pitched whine. In my mind it sounds like the metalic noise a grinder makes on metal but no where near as violent.

Stopped the car and got it dropped off at home. Had a good look over it and couldnt see anything out of place or loose. Took it a quick drive and it was fine. Tried again this morning and it was fine again for 10-15 mins and same problem as above.

I thinking a boost/vaccum hose is loose/split somewhere but i'm worried that when we had the turbo apart we have broken/disturbed something. When rebuilt the turbo spun freely with very little play in the shaft.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or can anyone suggest what it is?

GTti

Member +
"You spun it freely"

A turbo spins a bit faster than that dude! :D I would have said once you re-built it you should have had a company check the turbo and make sure it's balanced properly. I think it's not.

G6Turbo

Member +
I believe there is shaft play, it "bounces" when it spools up in the turbo housing this is what the sounds make and why it doesnt boost ;). With bouncing i mean its juddering ( i believe thats the word for it :) )

lanxter

Member +
my friend had the noise your describing when his turbo was fucked.

as the lads above have said have it checked out

Rosco

Member +
Oh well the wastegate had a slight crack too, think I'll just get another turbo. Good excuse for a hybrid I guess.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
"You spun it freely"

A turbo spins a bit faster than that dude! :D I would have said once you re-built it you should have had a company check the turbo and make sure it's balanced properly. I think it's not.

Yep agree fully with luke.. im 99% sure they didnt get the turbo balanced..