bottom end knock

rosshana

Member +
Hi, can anyone help? took my car out for a drive last night after being parked up for about a week, first of all i just cruised it around for about an hour and the car seemed fine, then on the way back home i gave it a little boost off the roundabout and up the bypass nothing to hard when i backed off it was knocking like the bottom end had gone, and it felt like it had lost power, no warning lights came on or anything, this morning i did a compression test and found that each cylinder was within 1psi of each other, does this sound like the bottom end has gone and will the bottom end just go like that? any help will be muchly appreciated, or is there anything i should try before i start taking it apart.

Thanks Ross.

goldenvtr

Member +
When was the oil last changed, i would let it all out and look for metal fillings. if its been a while since the last oil change putting new oil in could finish it off and knock its tities off.

rosshana

Member +
i last changed the oil mid february, im going to pop out and drop the oil out, and see what i can find, thanks for advice.

rosshana

Member +
i drained the oil earlier, then poured it through some filter paper to see if it was full of metal filings, i didn't find any, so i filled it back up with fresh oil and the knocks still there. i also took the car in to the garage up the road from me so the mechanic there could listen to it and tell me what he thought it might be, and he suggested it could be the small ends, does anyone have any other ideas?