bottom end.....

Brad_L

Member +
I put my car back on the road tuesday because i fitted a new turbo i was out driving that night and all was fine the next morning i came out to start it and the oil light was on. It ran for 1minute at the most on tick over i then found my oil return pipe had split and there was fuck all oil in it.

I put oil in and fitted a new oil return pipe and all was fine and ive done 500miles since the oil light came on and when out for a sunday drive the bottom end started rattling above 3k so i turn it off and got it towed home.

Is the bottom end an expensive job to fix? What the most likely think to have gone shells etc?

All answer on a postcard

Brad :)

Mikey4410

Member +
Ahh mate,very sorry here that.im pretty sure you would have to find out the extent of damage before you can guage a price??? I dont know wether taking of the sump would give you more insight into the damage..

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
sump off best way to find out mate.
shells, bearings.
could be a lot of things that may be fooked.
if u nt sure get a mehanic to look at it.
or post pics up here.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
bearings are possaibly gone bad due to no oil .only take seconds for it to happen as they heat up fast:mad:

Ted

Member +
if youre any good with engines you could take the sump off and take off one main and one big end bearing to check their condition. if they arent too bad you could get away with just new bearings(and the crank looks good too).

in the meantime dont drive it

Lidders

Member +
Hello mate, give me a ring ill talk you through it, i just done my bearings as mine done the same as yours. Its pretty straight forward just fiddly and fustrating. Ill pm you my number

finx

Member +
will be a big end bearing. start at number 4 cap once you get the sump off and work your way forward as its the last to get oil.
its not so much the heat that make them pick up but high engine load, heat comes into it when things start seizing and bearings spinning. if its gotten to that stage then the conrod will be stuffed and possibly the crank also.

if you dont have experience with engines then dont try diy it. take it to a mechanic or get someone with successful engine rebuild experience to help.

Lidders

Member +
will be a big end bearing. start at number 4 cap once you get the sump off and work your way forward as its the last to get oil.
its not so much the heat that make them pick up but high engine load, heat comes into it when things start seizing and bearings spinning. if its gotten to that stage then the conrod will be stuffed and possibly the crank also.

if you dont have experience with engines then dont try diy it. take it to a mechanic or get someone with successful engine rebuild experience to help.

Too be honest mate i think its a job a novice cud do with half a brain, im no mechanic or nothing and cant afford a garage to do it, so i brought the bearings off dave at tm developments and done it myself took me 2 hours tops just alot of fiddling about. Im going to be doing a guide on how to do it in the next few days to show people on how to do this. Just make sure your work area is clean and virtually dust free.

MattyR

Member +
I put my car back on the road tuesday because i fitted a new turbo i was out driving that night and all was fine the next morning i came out to start it and the oil light was on. It ran for 1minute at the most on tick over i then found my oil return pipe had split and there was fuck all oil in it.

I put oil in and fitted a new oil return pipe and all was fine and ive done 500miles since the oil light came on and when out for a sunday drive the bottom end started rattling above 3k so i turn it off and got it towed home.

Is the bottom end an expensive job to fix? What the most likely think to have gone shells etc?

All answer on a postcard

Brad :)

Sorry to hear that mate.

I Had exactly the same problem.

I Needed a new crank and shell's.

i would recommand getting the braided Oil Feed Return. as there alot stronger.

somal

Member +
4e tend to do that....where bearings are spun...its a head ache. have had it happened to me in the past had to get a whole new crank and connecting rod bearings etc

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Same happended to me recently.... :( one of my bearings spun round etc.. going to get the engine rebuilt at some point, just hope it never happens again!! how does someone prevent this from happening? Just regular servicing etc..???

Brad_L

Member +
you can bearly hear it knocking but my local garage is going to recover it tonight as i cannot be bothered to do it :)

350ep70gr

Member +

100% ^^^
Too be honest mate i think its a job a novice cud do with half a brain, im no mechanic or nothing and cant afford a garage to do it, so i brought the bearings off dave at tm developments and done it myself took me 2 hours tops just alot of fiddling about. Im going to be doing a guide on how to do it in the next few days to show people on how to do this. Just make sure your work area is clean and virtually dust free.

Not that easy as you think mate. Some time it is very dificult to do..the most you need is mesurments with special tools...to take some bearings and put them on is nothing really...the problem is to do a good job and not do bad things even worse..(higher posibility when it comes to knocking bearings)
Also before you change them you need to investigate why they fail in the first place..If something was blocked or the pump or the relief valve had a prob and dont fix this problem first ..it will eat your new bearings again in no time...!

Chris