BOV Chatter Sound

alextkt

Fresh Recruit
Does anyone know how to make my ep82 sound like this?
[video=youtube;grAwhhOvkFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grAwhhOvkFU[/video]

Im currently have a Blitz BOV installed
This one
11323blitz_bov.jpg

Nerosis

Member +
I havent listened to the video, but im guessing you have to block up the BOV inlet and outlets plus remove the airfilter and mesh up the turbo inlet!

I did this on td04 and it was the ultimate in chatter technology!!!

djdiller

Member +
Thats the turbo bud, there's no bov on the car........where the bov is connected to the hot pipe its blocked an causes the turbo to
chatter..........

Diller

dark_knight

Member +
running no BoV: will you be safe or sorry?

sounds cool for sure but there have been several schools of thought (& threads too) about whether this impacts on the overall health of your turbo by encouraging compressor surge/stall. i'd say that it defo increases the load/stress on the compressor turbines since the charge air has nowhere to go on throttle lift-off but would it be severe enough to cause damage to the turbo quickly enough..? :confused:

Nickzorz

Member +
I just shoved the lid off of a wine bottle in the pipe behind my bov.

I still can see how it would cause so much damage that people claim it does.

Skalabala

Member +
members please dont do this, it is harmfull to your turbo
you are putting more stress than the turbo wants on its thrust collar and thrust plate/bearing
it will wear out faster and can result in that the turbine blades gets riped of the shaft

dark_knight

Member +
no BoV = shorter turbo lifespan

i'm with Skalabala on this but maybe we need someone who's actually lost a turbo to this for people to believe that it's bad.. :(
remember that, if for instance, you've had your car running for 2 years without a BoV and not having had any trouble does NOT mean it's ok and will continue to be ok. super- & turbocharged engines only spend about 5% of their run-time on boost so you are only causing injury to your turbo when you lift off the throttle after boosting. how much damage is getting done depends on how hard you were boosting and how fast your turbo had been spinning.

i'd say desist and run a BoV..!

AdamB

Member +
There was a post a little while ago, I think it was Jay that said he had seen his first turbo go due to compressor surge.

Nickzorz

Member +
Turbos are a perishable part in a car anyway.

I still cant see how reversing the air flow would put stress on a bearing??? and looking at the shape of turbine blades i would say that the blades are less stressed when the air is rushing out than when it is rushing in.

However im no expert and i will leave my bov blocked up until my turbo goes pop and then do u know what im going to do? im gonna replace it with something so big it will make fat mum jokes seem anarexic (or however you spell it)

Plus i have a sard dump valve and im not joking it sounds like a pair of symbols (the musical instrument) clashing together.

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
shaft & bearing stress

I still cant see how reversing the air flow would put stress on a bearing??? and looking at the shape of turbine blades i would say that the blades are less stressed when the air is rushing out than when it is rushing in..

just so you know Nickzorz, reversing the air flow (during throttle lift-off and not having a BoV) puts stress on the bearing and shaft in general because as the slowed/returning air creates resistance on the compressor turbine, the exhaust turbine is still turning in the other direction and thus being opposed by the reverse air flow. it's like two boys pushing on opposite sides of a door every now and then. before long the door will break. makes sense now..?

but, since you say the turbo is a perishable component of the car - which is true.. (and you are more than willing to bust and replace it), i can't argue with you not wanting to run a BoV. enjoy the chatter and replace the turbo when needed.. :)

Nickzorz

Member +
just so you know Nickzorz, reversing the air flow (during throttle lift-off and not having a BoV) puts stress on the bearing and shaft in general because as the slowed/returning air creates resistance on the compressor turbine, the exhaust turbine is still turning in the other direction and thus being opposed by the reverse air flow. it's like two boys pushing on opposite sides of a door every now and then. before long the door will break. makes sense now..?

but, since you say the turbo is a perishable component of the car - which is true.. (and you are more than willing to bust and replace it), i can't argue with you not wanting to run a BoV. enjoy the chatter and replace the turbo when needed.. :)

Thanks for explaining what actually happens. The problem is I still know very little about how a turbo actually works mechanically.

I cant stress enough though...my BOV sounds really terrible. MY old proton had a HKS SSQV and sounded perfec. Perfect hiss that chattered as well. I put my BOV back in last night just for a change and it sounds really really terrible.

How terrible? well...I once saw this bloke chatting up a cheetah, I thought "he's trying to pull a fast one"

...That terrible.

dark_knight

Member +
dump valve, which one?

@Nickzorz: no problem with the explanation mate. my pleasure.. i love teaching.. :teach:

when you say your dump valve sounds terrible, is it the stock one or after-market..? & if after-market, which one..? curious.. :)

Nwimie

Member +
i have same BOV as you and i just tightened the screw down a bit and when i boost low it chatters and high boosting it still dumps :)