Bov/no bov

Fletch_gtt

Member +
Hi everyone, have recently brought a glanza, it has a front mount intercooler, and a relocated filter, the dv has a really loud pssssst and wat just wondering can i take out the dv and block it off or do i need it, will it damage anything? just wanted to cif iget chatter sound without it?

cheers

Shorty

Member +
check the search function mate been coverd loads of times. i personaly wouldnt do with out it, i took mine off for a bit and spool was slower and i bel up my turbo (wasnt a new turbo though) is said to wear them out faster.

Sigma

Member +
At this kind of power and pressure, it's rare that it will cause any significant damage.

It's essential over sort of 450bhp bhp, but before, it's really just something to listen to.

Run it without, sounds mint :)

weakboy2

Member +
incorrect, not bhp but boost on certain turbos.

mega boost it would be wise to use one, cheap ct9... i wouldnt car or td04 for that matter lol

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
im td04, run without a dv, sounds much better like a audi quatro from the group b era.

but i wont run one once mapped, or wen forged and running 1.4 bar.
its purely down to personal preference,
however with the point of it spolling slower, i would agree.

Shorty

Member +
its unqestionable about the damage realy as the noise isnt chatter as such but compresser stall which is the air trying to escape by backing down the turbo so if you spin at 000's of rpm then try and go backwards how can you cause no damge lol and name a turb car that dosnt have a bov?? you cant. factory cars normaly have recerculating dump valves wich dont dump to the atmosphre but still have them so if its not needed why do the spend the extra money fitting them?? sounds cool but isnt a great idea for turbo health end of.

TomS

Lifer
The turbo dosen't spin backwards the chattering noise comes from compressed air moving past the blades once the throttle plate is closed.

I've been running without a bov for 35k without any problems, however some people remove theirs and suffer turbo failure shortly afterwards, weither this can be attributed to the lack of a dv is debatable. The general consensus is that no dump valve is fine at lower boost levels (<1bar) but for higher boost, more expensive / bigger turbos (than stock) it is advised that you have a dump valve

dac69er

Super Moderator
there are some turbo cars without bovs as stock. i cannot think of the exact car now but remember reading about it. rally cars and other motorsport cars with tubos run without bov's but they are obviously not looking for ultimate lifespan from the engine and ancillaries so they dont really count.

at lower boost levels its not going to make much difference. tbh

you listen to the car with an open filter and stock bov and you will get the flutter.

also, can see no possible way the car could spool slower with no bov. if anything it would be faster due to reducing a possible boost leak.

TomS

Lifer
anyone got a pic of not running dv? where do you hook your vac line to? and if ur running a topmount do you justleave the hole exposed on the pipe going to the topmount?

Block the vac line and hole on the ic ppe.

100_0391.jpg

I used a plastic wine cork for the ic pipe and a screw cable tied in the vac line. leave the stock valve there to cover the hole in the efi pipe (if you still have one)

Shorty

Member +
take off your bov mate garantee it spools slower. and @TomS: you say its air escaping between the blades but if the air goes through the blades thr wrong way it will try and spin it backwards as the air passes over the blades simple principal of blades and air-movment think about it mate. (not trying to sound cocky just trying to explain the air movement) personaly though would never do it agin as iv been there tryed it and found no benifit only a negative in the spooling ect. great noise pointless venture imo.

Paul147

Member +
I ran 2 of my Glanzas with the DV blocked up with no problems, i say go for it, sounds mental. il be doing this myself on the one i have at the minute its just trying to find something big enough to block the hole of.

TomS

Lifer
I will not agree for a second that the turbo is made spin backwards. The air passing over the blades stalls the compressor momentarily hence the name "compressor stall"

MeisterR

Lifer
Some big boost cars run without BOV, and they never have a problem.

If it is annoying for you, you can always tighten the springs (if it is adjustable) so it only open past 1 bar of pressure.
That way you know the only time the BOV will open is if you had a full boost run... most of the time it will stay shut if you are on part throttle.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I will not agree for a second that the turbo is made spin backwards. The air passing over the blades stalls the compressor momentarily hence the name "compressor stall"

it doesnt stall. when the throttle butterfly shuts the airflow will stop. the blades of the compressor are still spinning so chop the stalled air making the fluttering noise.

the air doesnt spin the turbo backwards but the air will move backwards to a degree as it expands to nromal pressure from being compressed when it was on boost.

it cannot spin backwards while the car is running due to the exhaust gasses always passing through the turbo turning it the correct way.

Lawrence

Member +
I would say the dump valve has a purpose and wouldnt remove it personally. It helps spall up quicker when changing gear etc, and iv never known anyone not like the sound of a dumpvalve lol?

dac69er

Super Moderator
the air does go backwards out of the turbo as the air that was originally compressed has to expand again to atmospheric pressure. it will not stop the turbo with the engine running though.

obviously, the lower the boost the less the air has to expand and the less air is forced backwards past the turbine.