Brake Upgrade Thread

ChrisW

Lifer
Well Im after some honest opinions really on brake upgrades for the Starlet and hopefully this thread can help people out in the future.

They are two completely different options but my problem is basically choosing between uprated disks, pads and lines or going for a Zep 4 pot kit.

I simply cant afford to buy a new big brake set up so was going to buy the Zep kit off a member on here. What I really want to know is if the extra £300 for Zep 4 pots is really worth it over uprated disks etc? I doubt I will ever track the car tbh but I will be running fairly big bhp in the form of a TD04 at 1.4bar. Would disks etc suffice for road use, or is it worth the extra £300?

All opinions greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision on this asap :)

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
In my opinion you won't need the extra but it's always nice to know its there, so can you afford the £300 for peace of mind?

Matchew

Member +
How about when its up in the air i cut the brake lines then put two holes in the footwell and you can fred flintstone it.
Thats better than the standard brakes:rockon:

Matchew

Member +
Na seriously dude brakes are vital when im running 270-280bhp i'd have a bigger brake kit, im the same as you its never gonna get tracked but i still man safety first id pay the extra any day to know that i can stop on a six pence. Rather than going for the cheaper option cus its what you can afford now.
Better braking power can save your life or your starlet and after the shit you've had with yours im sure thats the last thing you want

ChrisW

Lifer
I know Matt but money is kind of a big factor lol, especially when you spend money that you havn't got :(! Ive taken that attitude too much with my car and spend WAAAYYY too much!

Anyway, had a good look at the funds and decided I just cant afford 4 pots lol, ordered 3G disks, Mintex 1144 pads, braided lines and 5.1 fluid. In all fairness I dont drive like a complete madman so in theory should never need the stopping power of 4 pots (I hope :p)

Matchew

Member +
You wait till you've got 270 raging horses you'll have a led foot!!
You ent spent way too much just whats needs to be done to achieve that sort of power

Harvey

Member +
Well im running AW11 mr2 calipers with VX discs (260x24mm) and EBC yellow stuff pads. My brakes were absolutely awesome at Keevil airfield day just got better and better.

The starlet brakes are pretty gay, the discs are too thin only 18mm. They used 18mm on the Mk1a MR2 and decided they were too small (overheat + warp) so why they used them on a GT is beyond me.

However the ZEP 4 pot kit is a PITA to fit anyway! Not all wheels fit plus you lose the wheel centering spigot. I will hopefully be fitting some Celica 2 pot calipers soon. Unfortunately they used different pads and dont think they do yellow stuff for them :(