Brakes What To Use

Got.Boost

Fresh Recruit
Hello Everyone

I Have Got About 1500 Miles Left On My Brakes On My Glanza But Don't Know What Brakes TO Buy When I'm Ready For New Ones I Have Seen A Lot Of People Using Brakes Off Other Toyota's But Have Not Got A Clue What I Will Need To Use Them

Can Any Help With A List Of What I Will Need To Buy To Do It

Thanks Got.Boost :drive:

davehart

Member +
A good set of 3G discs and red/greenstuff pads work pretty well.

Depending on what power your running bigger brake setups are not really needed.

Got.Boost

Fresh Recruit
Should Be Running About 200bhp So Dont Know If To Get Some Grooved Discs And Some Red Stuff Pads But Will They Be Ok

davehart

Member +
Should Be Running About 200bhp So Dont Know If To Get Some Grooved Discs And Some Red Stuff Pads But Will They Be Ok

Thats the setup I've got for my EP82 when its back on the road. 10 Groove 3G's. I've always used them, never had any problems with them cracking or warping.

SHould be good for 200bhp as I'll be running 230-240 on them.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Well any setup with standard calipers is not brilliant! If you're serious about the brakes invest in decent racing setup!

Don't buy Red/Green pads, Yellow is what everyone recommends, but Mintex 1144 is way better than EBC brakes. I use EBC grooved discs however, and also braided lines as well as Cusco Master Cylinder Stopper and DOT 5.1

dark_knight

Member +
brake cooling ducts on the OE setup

now that we are talking about brakes, i can't afford a brake upgrade atm so how about i just run cooling ducts to my stock carriers, calipers & rotors..? running mintex pads but they are about out so will just revert to the OE pads available locally..
in my train of thought, cooling the OE brakes should give some reasonable sense of increased/improved performance..

thefalls

Member +
Mintex 1144 pads are defo good. I used these when i had stock discs.

EBC yellow stuff is good also,cold bite is better on the mintex though.

The brake set up varies according to what power you are running and whether you are tracking the car or it is for a fast road use.

I think that for the fast road set up you better go uprated discs/pads,braided brake lines all round, Dot 5.1 fluid and BMCS.

And if you want even better braking power then the wilwoods 4 pot is a good option. It has good braking power without locking the wheels and fits most 15" rims.

Hope this helps.

dark_knight

Member +
thanks thefalls, it's good info.. but like i mentioned, i can't afford a brake kit upgrade yet so will work around the OE platform for now.. :)

nazzurro19

Member +
I have some ebc grooved discs and hawk carbon breaks had around 3/4 months use no track days just daily driving for like £60

AdamB

Member +
270bhp on a forged TD04 setup, with great success! - Bollox!!! With that power it will overheat the brakes after 2 heavy braking sessions...... Not to mention that the acceleration will be faster than braking.....

Depends on the car, if you have adequate cooling to the brake discs then there won't be a problem. The mechanical energy of you pressing the pedal is turned into thermal energy, dissipate the thermal energy and you can break harder and harder.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Depends on the car, if you have adequate cooling to the brake discs then there won't be a problem. The mechanical energy of you pressing the pedal is turned into thermal energy, dissipate the thermal energy and you can break harder and harder.

It's not included in the package!

But I understand what you're saying! However not many people actually have this kind on improvement of their cars. Have you got one?

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
Your right its not included in the package, but anyone that can understand the principle behind braking system, will know that it only costs a couple of quid for some flexi plastic pipe and you can run it from your front bumper to the brake disc.
I haven't got one no, but I will have. I don't think its necessary for a fast road setup, aslong as your callipers are not seizing and are working properly, the above kit will do fine. Tracking the car is a different matter though.