Breaking weird ?

Sticks

Member +
I was driving home from work today and had to brake on a bit hard, then something weird happened. It started to juddered a lot and then the steering went a bit light.

Anybody know what this could be?

Cheers
Mark

Cooch

Member +
ABS pushs the pedal back up and down like you yourself were pumping the pedal. What exactly is it doing?

Dan3SGTE

Member +
my mums cooper S is terrible.... i'll be flying an wack the brake on and judders to fuck... i personally hate ABS... i like a plain car where you have to control what it does.....

Monkfish

Member +
How ABS works...

ABS, or Anti-Lock Braking system, prevents the car skidding and retaining driver control by stopping the wheels locking up under heavy braking. Sensors in each wheel detect wheel speed, when the control unit senses one (or more) wheel(s) being significantly slower than the rest (or completely stopped) the control unit releases the braking pressure on that wheel. Once the wheel starts spinning again, the brakes are released. This is a fast process happening ~10 times per second. Juddering can be felt through the pedal and a juddering noise can be heard, which is normal.

Faulty sensor(s) are usually identified by ABS activation under light braking when the wheels aren't locked up or on ice/wet painted lines.

:)

Sticks

Member +
How ABS works...

ABS, or Anti-Lock Braking system, prevents the car skidding and retaining driver control by stopping the wheels locking up under heavy braking. Sensors in each wheel detect wheel speed, when the control unit senses one (or more) wheel(s) being significantly slower than the rest (or completely stopped) the control unit releases the braking pressure on that wheel. Once the wheel starts spinning again, the brakes are released. This is a fast process happening ~10 times per second. Juddering can be felt through the pedal and a juddering noise can be heard, which is normal.

Faulty sensor(s) are usually identified by ABS activation under light braking when the wheels aren't locked up or on ice/wet painted lines.

:)

Thank you :)