Broke down on christmas day

danturbo4311

Member +
Iv just received a christmas present from my car, it broke down on my way home from seeing family & it seems to be a bit of an odd problem. As soon as I left to go home I started the car up & it sounded slightly strange, but it started up & I drove off, then about 20minutes into the journey without warning the engine just cut out at about 35mph, then wouldn't restart but it turns over.

I then opened the bonnet & could smell a slight burning smell (electrical burning smell), Iv also noticed that the engine management light doesnt come up on the dash (was working fine before), as I wanted to do a diagnostic test.

I checked the fuel pressure on the sard pressure regulator gauge & it was showing good pressure & I could hear the fuel pump working, however I checked the spark & had no spark coming from the coil lead. The car also has a clifford alarm & immobiliser fitted (been on & working fine for over 6 years) with no problems. Im also running an emanage ultimate, which Iv been running for about 2 years no problems. Im betting its the immobiliser but thought i'd share the problem on here for any more suggestion or for someone to confirm my suspicion lol.
thanks
merry christmas

Morph

Member +
Is there anyway you could remove the alarm just to check if the alarm is at fault mate?? Also maybe check the loom as could maybe have burnt out due to age as these cars are getting on now is there power at the coil and distributor??

danturbo4311

Member +
Im not sure how the alarm is wired in mate as it was installed by someone else, but Im gonna strip it down (hopefully tomorrow) & work out exactly how its wired in & see if I can bypass the immobiliser then see if it works. Ill check the coil & dizzy wiring first tho just to makesure as the smell seemed to be coming from that area, im not sure if there was power to them either, ill check with my multi meter tomorrow too. But Im thinking its alarm related due to the fact I have no management light, I normally start the car by pressing a button on the key forbe with the ignition on, this then disengages the immobiler & brings up the management light then it will start.

TheStarletGT

Member +
My GT had a Razo turbo timer and it was brillient. One day as i wanted to activate it, it wont. Everytime i took the keay out, the car would switch off etc. After opening the razo turbo timer, a very little diode was blown, causing the issue etc.

Morph

Member +
Could be the alarms wired into the back of the ignition mate as when you disable the alarm I'm guessing it primes the fuel pump and engine light comes on could well be a alarm fault or maybe loom burnt out or rubbed thru around the gearbox area as alot of heat over time will damage and cause the wire to break down internally it's worth a look at the least check those bits and see where it's at from a guess and alarms I've seen in the parts it'll proberley be wired into the back of the ignition switch.

danturbo4311

Member +
I just had another quick look but I cant spend much time on it untill tomorrow. When pressing the key forbe with the ignition on, I rememebered that the battery light also normally illuminates with the MIL, but whats happening is I press the button & the battery light lights up but the MIL still doesnt, but the clicking sound the immobliser normally makes is still there so Im thinking maybe its not an immobiliser issue, also just to add the turbo timer is built into the alarm. I removed the dash & swapped the MIL light with another dashbulb to see if it was just something silly like the bulb blown causing it not to come on, but it still didnt work. Im gonna remove the EMU field harness & see if the brings up the MIL light with the ignition on. But what can stop the MIL light from illuminating, & give no spark.

Morph

Member +
Does the car crank when you try to start it?? Also I'd remove the emanage and see if it fires up then if not it'll be a case of looking at the wiring loom around the area you said smelt buddy or even open up the standard ecu invade the looms shorted and burnt the board in the ecu always a possibility.

danturbo4311

Member +
Na its a good battery almost new & never had any problems with it, the engine turns over fine just dont start, the clicking is just a relay once I press the immobilser button it disengages it (normal sound), which is what is making me think the alarm/immobiliser maybe ok. Yea ill remove the EMU tomorrow & see what happens, I was just having a look at auto data wiring diagrams for a starlet, its showing a fuse for the MIL light Ill have to have a look at that too, maybe as you say morph something on the loom may have shorted & blown the fuse. Im wanna try the simple things first dont really wanna touch the alarm unless im 100% sure its the problem, as if I interfer with it I could be inviting more problems, its a clifford G5.

Morph

Member +
Go that route and post back how you do buddy as I'm sure it might be something simple or a wiring fault.

danturbo4311

Member +
All sorted now lads, a wire on the loom had rubbed through, took a while to find thou, engine starts & runs sweet & the MIL light works again to, you were spot on morph.
thanks

Morph

Member +
Glad it was something simple dude see this alot on older turbo cars where the loom heats up and down causing wiring to breakdown at least its fixed and glad to help you out bud.

Adam46

Fresh Recruit
All sorted now lads, a wire on the loom had rubbed through, took a while to find thou, engine starts & runs sweet & the MIL light works again to, you were spot on morph.
thanks

Hi I have the same problem with my eml not coming on, is there common places for loom to rub through? Wer about did ur loom chafe ?
Thanks