burnin some serious oil? possibilitys

shane01

Member +
right so far i have toped up my oil for the last 3 weeks or so and its burnin it into its near low.

would burnin threw the turbo cause this much loss?, or should i be lookin at rings on the engine? or would runnin the car rich burn that much oil so fast.

running a wepr td04 set up at 10 psi.,? also noticed alot more popin then it use 2.

Ben89

Lifer
What colour is the smoke? Is it smoking on idle or full throttle or when your on over run?
There's a few different faults that would cause oil burning, turbo seals, piston ring failure, stem seal failure.
Is oil coming out of the rocker cover breather? Have you checked the intercooler pipes for signs of oil? And also get a compression test done! Hope that helps.

shane01

Member +
What colour is the smoke? Is it smoking on idle or full throttle or when your on over run?
There's a few different faults that would cause oil burning, turbo seals, piston ring failure, stem seal failure.
Is oil coming out of the rocker cover breather? Have you checked the intercooler pipes for signs of oil? And also get a compression test done! Hope that helps.

heres the info i got so far, it does smoke on idle but cant tell if its mosture it looks clear but not burnin no water.
but sayin that my friend followed me the other day and said they may of seen black smoke when i started boostin?

and from the breather its ventin under the car so i cant say, i cant see no oil leaks where i park!

so far im toppin up every 3 weeks.

Ant

Member +
99% turbo related mate, mine has the same issue, actually worse than this. After a long journey with friends driving behind me they said the smell of oil was constant, off boost there is little oil loss, any boosting causes heavy oil loss in mine. A couple of hundred miles burnt nearly a litre!

shane01

Member +
if so mate, i could test this theory by not boostin messuring and then boostin for same sort of distance?

and if so would it be a new td04? or can i replace them seals myself ?

Ant

Member +
Of course you could. I wouldn't see it as very accurate though as you can easily spool the turbo at any moment which will affect any result/s.

As for replacing oil seals on a TD04, seek some advice here, I would be amazed if someone has not done or at least tried to DIY!

shane01

Member +
anyone know if the turbo was burnin the oil would it produce extra mess from exhust coverin my back bumper?

TO82

Member +
Would be worth pulling the plugs out and looking for any signs of oil in the bores or on the electrodes themselves, does the car feel as if it misfires when your WOT on boost?

Gtjond

Member +
Im having the same kind of problems, blue smoke when sitting in traffic. And genral driving, but not all the time. cant see any smoke when boosting but am being told it is and stinks. Also when i turn it off after driving and start it 10-15mins later, it smokes really bad. Not really using that much oil tho??

I have done a compression test. And all cylinders were 145

Turbo related? Steam seals or something eles?

Any advice will be very much apreciated

ktl

Member +
could it be oil scrapers or would the engine still smoke ?

Proberly is turbo related if you think it only happens on boost.

Paul-r33

Fresh Recruit
Im having the same kind of problems, blue smoke when sitting in traffic. And genral driving, but not all the time. cant see any smoke when boosting but am being told it is and stinks. Also when i turn it off after driving and start it 10-15mins later, it smokes really bad. Not really using that much oil tho??

I have done a compression test. And all cylinders were 145

Turbo related? Steam seals or something eles?

Any advice will be very much apreciated

Sounds like valve stem oil seals mate, has it got worse over time?