burning oil smell, oil rising from behind the turbo/downpipe?? help

peter88

Member +
there is a crack in the down pipe and this may be causing the smoke to rise from that area, but there is a burning oil smell that is rather strong and occasionally when letting off the revs a blueish puff of smoke comes from the exhaust, iv took the boost pipe that connects to the inlet manifold to see if there is oil coming from the turbo into the inlet mani but it is bone dry. any ideas what it is?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I'm getting exactly the same.. also no oil in intercooler pipes etc.. ill keep an eye on this for peoples thoughts.

AdamB

Member +
You might have to pull the cat off and check the turbine housing, my ct9 went on that side and was bellowing out blue smoke.

peter88

Member +
cool cheers, my valve stem seals went on my old engine a few years ago and it did not smell like burning oil, i suppose it depends how badly they go. this has only just came on after a big 450 mile drive, so the the turbo can go on the turbine side and burn oil yet the intercooler pipes can stay dry?

AdamB

Member +
Yep, just remove the cat and if it looks wet in there then the seal has gone on the turbine side.